“hmm, food is ok. Service is slightly above average.”
Review of Sushi Samba - CLOSED

Sushi Samba
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Gramercy Park
Cross street: between 19th and 20th streets
Transit: Union Square subway stops.
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I expected more to be honest. I've eaten great sushi from Thomo's (where the Japanese people go) and a million places on St Marks. This...not up there. I don't care how much you 'fusion' sushi, it doesn't make it instantly great tasting. No wow factor...but then they expect you to pay for the fact that there is one...maybe I missed it ?

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We dined with our 14 month old son Duke on the recommendation of a New York local and our expectations were exceeded. First of all and possibly most importantly - is it sometimes difficult dining with a 1-2 year old at a Japanese restaurant (even if, as is the case with Duke, your kids are almost qualified food reviewers). The staff could not have been more welcoming, accommodating our family's every need. Te bar and restaurant is cool. It transforms from a family friendly well set out restaurant to a cool bar/restaurant during the evening. Our waitress (I wish I could recall her name - she was just outstanding and Duke loved her) suggested the chef's selection, which enabled us all to "experience the essence of japanese, brazilian and peruvian cuisine with our multi-course omakase" (as perfectly described by them). We had one too many lychee bubbletails (their description) but left very happy and satisfied.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went here our first night in NYC, we hadn't eaten all day and was starving. We shared a selection of Samba Rolls, and was not disappointed. It is not traditional sushi, but it was the best sushi I ever had. The staff was really friendly, and especially our waitress. We got this recomended from a New Yorker, and I would like to pass the recomendation on. It is a bit pricey, but worth it.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I went to Sushi Samba with a group of two and from the start was impressed. The server could not do enough for us, always checking we were ok and had everything we needed. Cocktails were great, food was outstanding and yes it's not cheap but great places rarely are. My friend visits the Miami restaurant every year and was impressed so you must be doing something right!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Back to Iceland and tried it again ,even better then last time .
By the way I forgot my wallet in the hotel next door and they didn't even
Stressed about it, they let me walk out without paying to get it. very
Honest and friendly restaurant :)