“A surprising gem”

and up
New York City Sightseeing Tour by Coach
Ranked #10 of 1,079 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Henry Frick once resided in this 18th-century French-style mansion; now its the home of his impressive art collection, which includes Titian, Vermeer, Rembrandt, El Greco, Goya, Whistler and more.
Houston, Texas
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“A surprising gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

I lived in New York for years before I visited the Frick - and regret not going sooner! The collection is beautiful but equally as impressive is the space itself. It feels like someone's home with an amazing courtyard in the center. It's a lovely place to walk around and look and also to sit and take it all in. Sunday is pay-what-you-wish morning!

Visited August 2013

54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

A quiet and enthralling place to spend an afternoon amongst a fantastic collection of art and architecture

Indianapolis, Indiana
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“beautiful museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

We went there during the Mauritshaus exhibit. That was out of this world. But the rest of the museum was so beautiful. I love the way the art was displayed

Lexington, Massachusetts
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“An Exellent Collection in a Beautiful Setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

I had not been back to the Frick in over 30 years, so it was like seeing it for the first time. The collection represents a history of European painting housed in an elegant mansion. The best part is that you can easily see the entire collection in an hour and a half.

We went during the Sunday morning "pay as you wish" entrance fees, so it was a bit crowded but not so much that it interfered with our enjoyment of the art works (and there was no wait to enter). The regular admission price is $20, which some may consider a bit steep, but when you consider the quality and range of the art works, it is worth it. All of the masters are here: Rembrandt, Vermeer, Hals, Titian, Gainsborough, El Greco, Goya, Boucher, Watteau, Turner, Constable and many others.

For those (like me) who were disappointed to miss the recent show with Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring," you can be comforted by the fact that the Frick has three Vermeers on permanent display, including "Officer and Laughing Girl" (which far exceeds "Girl with a Pearl Earring" in my humble opinion).

Mr. Frick didn't collect many Impressionists, so if you are looking for those, you will be disappointed, but the few Corots and the one Renoir and one Monet are very fine indeed. When we visited last weekend (January 26th), the room with the Whistlers was closed for an installation, but that did not detract from our enjoyment of the museum.

The complimentary audio guide is highly recommended. Nearly each painting has a commentary on the audio guide, so you can stop and listen to excellent (but not interminable) commentary as often as you wish.

In addition to the paintings, there are also bronze sculptures and decorative arts, such as furniture and porcelain vases and, at the moment, a special exhibit of clocks, on display.

This was a very pleasant way to spend an hour and a half on a Sunday morning. You will probably have it all to yourself on a weekday. Highly recommended.

San Clemente, California
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Nice collection!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I went on a Sunday morning during "pay what you wish" hours. I was disappointed that the "Girl with the Pearl Earring" was no longer there - mix-up on my part with the dates I guess. Anyway, I as impressed with the house and the architecture, and there were many amazing pieces of art on display. I was disappointed that some areas of the house were temporarily closed for setting up a new exhibit, so I felt that I was not getting the full experience. So I'm glad I went during "pay what you wish" hours. Works by many of the greats are on display. The staff seemed a little overly surly to me, not friendly at all - they came across to me more like prison wardens & guards, though it must be trying to spend you day telling people "no photos". I don't really get the "no photo" rules, particularly given that just about everybody these days has a camera on their cell phone, and despite the rule, many photos were taken. But I digress - the museum was nice, and the house & architecture are as impressive as the art work. An hour and a half was plenty of time for my visit.

3 Thank Tanq K