“Beautiful small museum and well preserved historic building”

The Morgan Library & Museum
Small Group Guided Walking Combo Tour of Lower and Midtown Manhattan
Ranked #40 of 1,131 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Just a short walk from Grand Central and Penn Station, the Morgan is a major exhibition venue for fine art, literature, and music, one of New York's great historic sites, and a wonderful place to dine, shop, and attend a concert or film.
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The Morgan Library and Museum has two parts--just like it sounds, the library and museum. The library is in the historic Pierpont Morgan mansion and you're able to walk through several rooms on the ground floor, which include things like Morgan's enormous desk and walls covered with multiple levels of bookshelves. A great look at how the 1% (or .1%) lived a hundred years ago. The museum part is in an utterly modern, glass-walled, light-filled building adjacent to the historic one and contains a few small galleries. There is almost always something interesting and/or beautiful on exhibit, and there's a pleasant cafe on the first floor. Well worth visiting if your're in the neighborhood (on Madison and 37th).

Reviewed June 13, 2012

The staff are rude, I agree with a previous review, the security staff chased me, after I had been in the museum for over an hour, and told me to put a badge on I had been given at the entrance, but had not been told I had to wear it. Two people with me, with no badges on either, were not asked! One person with me was told not to touch the furniture, but it was only a leaflet that was touching it! The cloakroom staff when I retrieved my back pack said nothing, no greeting, no 'did you enjoy your trip?' The staff there either need training, or need to change jobs, as it is clear they don't like working there!!!! I would only suggest you go for the Churchill exhibit, which is good but cramped, when that finishes, give the place a wide berth. We would have had coffee there but the attitude of the staff put us off.

3  Thank Queenslander902
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I really enjoyed the very cool architecture of walking through the Morgan. The collections there are wildly cool.

However, the security are quite confused. I had a coat which three guards could not agree on. Should I wear it, hold it or have it over my shoulder. Until all three converged yelling at me to do something different in the grand entryway to the original library, they kept making it very difficult to try and move around. They have a coat check FYI which is apparently the right answer for anything larger than a t-shirt.

1  Thank Clay B
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The Morgan Library is relatively unknown, but is not to be missed. It's a small museum, easily seen in a couple of hours. The builkding itself, designed by McKim, Mead & White has been recently restored, and is worth a visit in itself. The interior, with beautiful mosaics, marble walls and floors, illuniated walls and ceilings, murals, and period furniture, is often said to be one of the most beautiful in America. An addition by Renzo Piano adds space and light. Among the displays are wonderful manuscripts such as a Gutenberg Bible, original scores by composers ranging from Mozart to John Cage, paintings by many famous artists, and cylander seals, displaying some of the oldest known written language. This is not the place to go if you are looking for spectacle, but if you are looking for beauty and history you'll enjoy the Morgan Library.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

This museum was fine for me since I live near New York City and have lots of time to visit the more minor museums in the area; however, it you are a first time visitor go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art first. I went to the Morgan because I teach art history and wanted to see the museums Near Eastern cylinder seal collection which is among the best in the USA. I also wanted to see one of the only 50 or so remaining original Gutenberg bibles. I also enjoyed its current temporary exhibit on animals depicted in art. However, for the $15 admission charge there is no contest on where to go--go the Met, which "recommends" a $25 admission charge.

The museum also has a very nice museum shop, but that can be visited without paying the admission charge.

Negative: No photos are allowed, with or without flash.