“Old reliable standby-now a letdown, can't go back!”
Review of sapporo east - CLOSED

sapporo east
Neighborhood: East Village
Neighborhood: East Village
nyc
“Old reliable standby-now a letdown, can't go back!”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Back in the day( the 90's) this place was one of our favorites for sushi, so after visiting the old neighborhood we stopped in for dinner. We were telling our son how Mommy and Daddy used come here for great meals when we were dating, how Sapporo was named after his grandma's hometown in Japan.

Sometimes you just can't go back. At Sapporo, we started with a trio of appetizers, salmon kama, hamachi kama and a dish we had at other places "Dynomite"? Scallops and Mushrooms tossed with japanese mayo, tobiko and broiled. The fish dishes were very simple preparations, salted and broiled. Someone forgot the salt on the salmon, the Hamachi kama was only partially seasoned. Simple dishes rendered Meh!

My wife ordered a sashimi/ sushi deluxe combo and my son and I ordered the Bento box combo. The tuna rolls and the cucumber rolls were not fresh the seaweed already moist not crisp. The fish wasn't very fresh and the rice incorrectly seasoned too tart and served near warm. The chicken fried too crispy and dry. The gyoza was deep fried and served w/ sweet and sour glaze, the kinda crap one would get from the TGIF line of frozen Apps. The tempura was greasy, the oil either old or not the right temperature.

When we complained the waitress shrugged her shoulders. Never go to this restaurant! With all the competition in the East Village, this place has long overstayed its welcome. The worst Japanese restaurant in NYC!

• Visited September 2011

Poughquag, New York
“Our old reliable standy. Been going for 20 years”
Reviewed May 16, 2011

My wife went to NYU in the late 80's and discovered this restaurant. When we were going out, she took me here and it was my very first sushi restaurant. Been going ever since. Like other reviews, the place has not really changed (except that the neighborhood is a lot nicer/safer than in the early 90's). Decor is tolerable, but the sushi is inexpensive and fresh, and the service is efficient. Besides the great tasting sushi, we always order the Shigeyaki (eggplant appetizer); it is so delicious. Weekends it is crowded, but I think nowadays, the lines are not as long as before (and I think it is because there are so many other Japanese restaurants in the area, this used to be the only sushi restaurant around). We always try to eat here whenever we are down in the NYU area. It has not missed a beat!

• Visited March 2011
New York City, New York
“went there again after 10+ years. same decoration, same setting, food is still good. Don't go there for romantic dinner...”
Reviewed May 17, 2010

went there again after 10+ years. same decoration, same setting, food is still good. Don't go there for romantic dinner or your parents-in-law soon to be dinner. go for decent causal good meal. The sushi are fresh. i love my Uni sushi with quail egg and Chirashi. Prices on menu are considerably cheaper than other competition all coz there is no deco expenses involved. I am happy for a causal family meal there.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“One of my favorite casual eat. Love the sweet shrimp sushi, Kayaki and grill mackeral. They can't go wrong.”
Reviewed November 27, 2008

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“One of my all time favorite restaurant. first started going there 16yrs ago, and place is still as busy as ever...”
Reviewed August 11, 2008