“Great food and service, warm atmosphere”
Review of Hop Lee

Hop Lee
Ranked #3,289 of 14,396 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were recently on a family trip to NYC and decided to eat in Chinatown late Saturday evening. We had picked a restaurant, and my son and his wife went on ahead, only to find that the restaurant was closed. They stopped in a local firehouse and asked the firefighters there for a recommendation, and they directed us to Hop Lee on Mott Street.

We and several members of my wife's family from Brooklyn converged on Hop Lee, 12 people strong, and were seated almost immediately. We ordered a wide variety of food and shared it all, and every dish was good. In particular, the walnut shrimp was outstanding.

Two more of my sons who have young children joined us as we were finishing up around 10:30, and since the staff was already cleaning up in preparation for closing, we felt obligated to order more food for them. However, the waiter told us adamantly that there was plenty of food left, and that the newcomers should eat what was left and order more only if they were still hungry. We didn't end up ordering more food, but several of us sat around and had a beer. At no time did we feel any pressure from the staff to order more of anything, but our waiters hovered close by and were there instantly when we did want something.

In short, this was one of the best Chinese dinners we've ever had, but it was the quality of service that made it truly distinctive.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is one of the best Chinese restaurants where I have eaten. It was very clean and had nice linen napkins and table lots. Generous portions that can easily be shared . Dinner comes with hot tea. Prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I've been going to Hop Lee Kitchen for 23 years and it still tastes the same as I recall when I was a child. Through the years, I've learned to order in Cantonese =, so this usually tells the waiter that although I appear to be an American, I expect the authentic Cantonese style serving. My 23 year favorites are: pached Sea Bass with ginger and scallion (Phonetically it is pronounced: "Back soy Yue"), myall time favorite is Stir Fried Lobster in Black bean Sauce ("Chow Luong Ha"), and as a favorite vegetable, I usually order the somewhat pricy, but well-worth-it Stir-Fried Snowpea pod leaves ("Dao Myoe") with garlic and oil. Dao Myoe are seasonal, so you need to ask if they have them (they're off the menu I think). For a starch I'll order a Roast Duck Lo Mein. - Enjoy!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

If you can get a party of 10 together and order off the family style menu, you will taste some of the most incredible, authentic and delicious food not normally served in a typical Chinese restaurant. This is a neighborhood restaurant that serves mainly Asians and locals, so you know the food is going to be good. We were first served a yummy seafood dry scallop soup. Then we had platters of taro basket with scallops & clams, mushrooms with sauteed vegetables, peking pork chops, fried tofu with vegetables, jelly fish with vegetables (just wonderful), a whole crispy chicken, two lobsters Cantonese style, crispy flounder chunks with vegetables, beef & greens and fried rice. There are a few menus offered on a sliding scale depending on the dishes offered. But expect to pay about $35 to $40 pp for the in-between menu. Don't get hung up on what you think a food might taste like by its name. Just let it come to the table and chow down. Trust me, you will be happy. Some of us were apprehensive at first, but so glad we gave it a chance and loved it. I should say you can still order off the menu for 10 people if you are a smaller party; you'll just have to pay a bit more per person. Still soooo worth it...and you might walk away with some doggy bags, too. You can also be a party of 12 and order the menu for 10 but you will have to fit at one table and eat less but also pay less. The choice is yours!

Reviewed August 1, 2012

It has been around for awhile, one of the last few old school chinatown late night places, besides Wo Hop.
It will never set you back more t han 10 a person. It is jus not possible. Open late, with generously sized portions.

I always love shrimp with lobster sauce here!