“Authentic Cantonese”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I've been going to Hop Lee Kitchen for 23 years and it still tastes the same as I recall when I was a child. Through the years, I've learned to order in Cantonese =, so this usually tells the waiter that although I appear to be an American, I expect the authentic Cantonese style serving. My 23 year favorites are: pached Sea Bass with ginger and scallion (Phonetically it is pronounced: "Back soy Yue"), myall time favorite is Stir Fried Lobster in Black bean Sauce ("Chow Luong Ha"), and as a favorite vegetable, I usually order the somewhat pricy, but well-worth-it Stir-Fried Snowpea pod leaves ("Dao Myoe") with garlic and oil. Dao Myoe are seasonal, so you need to ask if they have them (they're off the menu I think). For a starch I'll order a Roast Duck Lo Mein. - Enjoy!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

If you can get a party of 10 together and order off the family style menu, you will taste some of the most incredible, authentic and delicious food not normally served in a typical Chinese restaurant. This is a neighborhood restaurant that serves mainly Asians and locals, so you know the food is going to be good. We were first served a yummy seafood dry scallop soup. Then we had platters of taro basket with scallops & clams, mushrooms with sauteed vegetables, peking pork chops, fried tofu with vegetables, jelly fish with vegetables (just wonderful), a whole crispy chicken, two lobsters Cantonese style, crispy flounder chunks with vegetables, beef & greens and fried rice. There are a few menus offered on a sliding scale depending on the dishes offered. But expect to pay about $35 to $40 pp for the in-between menu. Don't get hung up on what you think a food might taste like by its name. Just let it come to the table and chow down. Trust me, you will be happy. Some of us were apprehensive at first, but so glad we gave it a chance and loved it. I should say you can still order off the menu for 10 people if you are a smaller party; you'll just have to pay a bit more per person. Still soooo worth it...and you might walk away with some doggy bags, too. You can also be a party of 12 and order the menu for 10 but you will have to fit at one table and eat less but also pay less. The choice is yours!

Reviewed August 1, 2012

It has been around for awhile, one of the last few old school chinatown late night places, besides Wo Hop.
It will never set you back more t han 10 a person. It is jus not possible. Open late, with generously sized portions.

I always love shrimp with lobster sauce here!

Reviewed July 2, 2012

New York has lots of little places, tucked into its plentiful corners. We found lots of treasures on our family reunion restaurant tour. Hop Lee on Mott Street is all taste, very little atmosphere. Here, the focus is on getting your selections to the table as soon as possible. Hot, steamy platters of savory roast pork fried rice, chicken with broccoli, crispy beef medallions, veggies and pork chop suey and sweet and sour chicken. We ate well, then stumbled upstairs with full rounded bellies into the Chinatown night.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Food was great, staff friendly. There was not very many patrons the night we went. We felt alone and but had fun.