“Fun and funky flea!”

The Annex / Hell's Kitchen Flea Market
Ranked #439 of 1,173 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Browse through attic-loads of old stuff, from fishing rods to crocodile handbags, in these two market sections.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Fun stop on a Sunday morning, especially if you like costume jewelry and vintage clothing. I guess I'm just an aging hippie, but I still look for anything with a patchouli scent, and I was able to get a homemade candle, lavendar and patchouli soap and some body oil! Well worth the walk from my hotel...

1  Thank kap0819

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a pretty small flea market if you are used to the behemoth's in other states, but this one has great stuff. There are some really good items offered here and the prices are great. If you're looking for treasure in manhatten, look here.

1  Thank B52Moose
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I thought this would be a fun thing to do while visiting New York and since it was close to my hotel I walked over on a Saturday morning. My first impression was “I could make so much money here. My junk is way better than theirs!” I guess I expected things that were more antique like, despite the fact it says flea market in the name. Maybe I’ve seen too many episodes of Flea Market Flip! But it was still fun to browse and I eventually found some interesting things and even bought something. I could have easily bought a couple of other items, but succumbed to the restrictions of my suitcase. Perusing the Hell’s Kitchen Flea Market is fun and something that’s off the beaten tourist path. I’d definitely return. Who knows, next time I might find a special keepsake of my trip.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

NEW YORK NY - Toward the tail end of March, a point on the calendar when New York City visitors might hope Mother Nature would start to warm things up, the winds can still briskly whistle through the west-side streets of Hell's Kitchen. Unless the sun filters just so between the neighborhood's mid-height skyscrapers, it remains a time to wear heavier sweaters or light coats and gloves to go junk shopping.

That may be one of Hell's Kitchen's best-known attributes: junk (or, if you prefer, "junque") of value to collectors, seekers of the odd and the vintage, decorators, fashion mavens, and just plain folks who delight in a bargain. You'll find a wide assortment at the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market, which operates throughout the year (weather permitting) on Saturdays and Sundays only from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at W. 39th St. between 9th and 10th avenues.

The flea market regularly is a hopping place during the spring and summer, when those seasons lend themselves to more tourists, hours-long leisurely strolls, and lighter, casual clothing. National Geographic magazine claims the market at its busiest is one of the world's 10-best shopping streets. Although fewer vendors appear in colder weather, about 40 were out hawking their wares during a March 23 (2013) jaunt ... enough to make the trip interesting.

Lower temperatures can be a benefit. They inhibit those who come out to shop, and as a result tend to force prices down and encourage sellers to engage in a bit of haggling. That's helpful because this is still New York, and prices for almost any item tend toward the higher range, its condition or usefulness not withstanding.

The street is blocked off, and there's no traffic to contend with. Vendors set up in an impromptu way, fostering an almost bazaar-like atmosphere. The haphazard manner in which stuff-filled boxes and crates are strewn about also prompts a lot of lingering-and-fingering by people curious to know the contents of any given pile.

1  Thank Joe_Zlomek