“Loved this Place!”
Review of Sony Wonder Technology Lab - CLOSED

Sony Wonder Technology Lab
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors to this technology center learn about audio, imaging, robotics, design and network through interactive exhibits, and are directed through the experience by "b.b. wonderbot," a telepresence robot.
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I teetered on giving this four stars just because I think it could get very crowded and be frustrating. We just happened to run into this place and there was room for us to come in and play. They do recommend reservations. We were there on a day when it was not crowded, so we had a blast.

I would say the ages for this place would be 5/6 and up. My younger boys had NO interest, and my 5 year old was borderline.

Inside they give you a computer chip card that you personalize with photos activities etc. They have have activities associated with that. They have a newscast you can do, an animation studio, some digital music activities, play some video games and more.

We stayed about 2 hours. My older boys could have stayed longer.

This is also a free activity.

1  Thank Luv2VacationForever

Reviewed April 2, 2010

This is one thing on my 13 year old's list that we had to do. We did not know that you could reserve advance tickets that gives you an arrival time. However, even in crowded spring break week, we arrived in the morning by 9:30am and got in the same day ticket line. Sony opens at 10am. We got tickets to be admitted right away. Wonderful to be there at opening. You get an id card upon entry, everyone goes thru the first station and put in your name, favorite settings and then that is your access when you go to any station. You just tap your card on the sensor and your information is entered before you play the game. There are stations that you can do a news report, bring a cartoon character to life by dancing and then it recreates your moves, create video games or cartoon scenes, play music, perform surgery. My favorite is near the end when you see the shadow on a screen and colorful dots fall down like running water, your shadow can collect the dots, pour them out, toss them around. That was really neat. We stayed just over an hour but could have easily spent 2 if we had stopped at every station. If you have kids, this is a great play spot in the midst of historical sights and they can get their does of technology and you can catch your breath!! Or you can play too! And it's FREE! PS-great coffee shop in the lobby while you are in line.

2  Thank NCAllen
Reviewed February 14, 2010

My husband is an engineer and wanted to visit the Sony Wonder Technology Lab during our last trip to the city in December. I was mildly entertaining for us, being in our mid-twenties without children. However, if you have children it would definitely be a great place to take them.

It is FREE and you get to play with all sorts of things, there is even a virtual surgery and game creation area. If you arrive early enough you should have plenty of time to do any/all of the activities you would like to. They give you an ID card of sorts and when you leave they will give you a certificate of completion.

Some of the information in the beginning is definitely scripted for a younger audience, and was slightly outdated (according to my husband). Also, when we were there, many of the stations were broken, or not available for one reason or another. Finally, even though they only took a small group of people at a time, there was always a wait for machines to open up. This led us to skipping some of the stations and not doing all of the activities. We were unfortunately one of the last groups they brought in for the day, and although the staff was very helpful and friendly, we were a bit rushed because they wanted to close.

Tip: Allow ample time before the attraction closes. They tell you to plan for 45 minutes to an hour, but you will need more than that. Also, call ahead for ticket times and plan to arrive 10 minutes early.

1  Thank jhoips
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I was very impressed with my trip to the Sony Wonder Lab over the summer. I took my 3 children ages 3-9 and my neighbor came along with us and she had 3 children as well. same ages The Lab had something for all ages to engage in everything was fun and easy to navigate, The staff was very pleasant and friendly. The best part it was educational and free, You must attend when you need something to do with the kids

1  Thank PTAMOM176
See more reviews
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Few things in life are free these days, and the Sony Wonder Technology Lab is one of them. As tourists for a weekend in NYC, it was refreshing to find such an interesting attraction that didn't break the bank...at all. We rushed to get there a little before 4 on Saturday and had no problem getting vouchers to get in. Because the museum closed at 5, we didn't have much time to play with all the exhibits, but since my boyfriend and I are in our mid-20s we weren't devastated about this. It just didn't seem cool to cut in front of all the little kids dying to play with the gadgets! It was cool to see how far media has come, and to channel my inner 10 year old and get a little certificate souvenir of participation at the end.