“great food and drinks”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Bet 5th & 6th Ave
Transit: The F, D, B, R, Q, are right on the corner. Penn Station, 1,2,3, A,C,E are 2 blocks away as well as the New Jersey Transit, and LIRR.
Description: Located in the heart of New York City, Playwright Irish Pub proves not only to be a sports fan's paradise with 54 large HD t.v.'s on both floors with tv's at each booth, but also a great venue to hold amazing parties. Whether it be a small gathering or a large dinner party, the Playwright will satisfy. The Playwright boasts 2 full bars, a large dining room and a lounge area. Playwright Irish Pub NYC, Sports Bars in NYC, Sports bars in New York City. Happy Hour is Monday to Friday, 4pm-7pm; $5 select drinks.
“great food and drinks”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

although the waitress was difficult to understand, we got everything we needed and the food and drinks were very delicious.

• Visited January 2014

• Korean first
Winchseter, VA
“Excellent Pub”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is my favorite place to eat, drink, and spend time in NYC. The food and drinks are delicious, the atmosphere is fabulous, and the staff is outstanding. No trip to NYC is complete without visiting Playwright on 35th St!

• Visited December 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“An Irish Pub above the rest”
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

In the land of NY, an Irish pub is a dime a dozen. There's one every two steps you take. But Playwright stands out to me as an exceptional place to be on every level.

First: the food. Most pubs aren't k own for their fare, yet Playwright is very different. Either they hired one hell of a chef, or my taste buds have low expectations. And I know for a fact that the latter is certainly not true. From the basic wings (which are oven baked to deliciousness) to the steak dinner, everything is incredibly tasty. They have an Irish curry chicken plate that is to die for.

Second: the drinks. They've got the standard liquors that every bar should have. And of course guiness is on tap. But the happy hour is what stands out. On a block where your standard drinks range from $7-$16, Playwright offers a luring happy hour with $5 well drinks and tap beer. That's enough to keep me coming for a long time. Especially since I now work in the area.

Third: the customer service. Friendliest group of bartenders and waiters I have come across. And some beautiful girls too if I may add. Also, met the manager John once or twice. He's an awesome laid back guy who's definitely a conversation.

And last but not least: the atmosphere. It's a pub /sports bar. And they live up to both. Tv's all around the place on both floors. You're surrounded by sports everywhere you turn.

All in all, I've been to many places in NYC and I've gotta say that by far this is one of my favorites. If you've been, I'm sure you keep coming back. And if you haven't, then do yourself a favor and come in. This will now be my new home. Worth it!

Ireland
“Top class”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Had recent stay in New York and we spent most our evenings in this pub and New Years Eve. Great location and excellent staff. Food was great and so were the Johnny walkers! A must have when you visit! :-)

Visited December 2013
north yorkshire
“Pub food at resturant prices”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at the hotel opposite this pub and we had a dink in there on the first night. It is a busy and friendly Irish bar. We had heard the food was good to looked it up on tripadvisor. Going on the reviews we decided to give the food a go and ate there on new years day. It was pretty quite compared to other days and we got a table no problem. The service is good. The food is also very good but the major disappointment was the bill! We paid as much as we paid for a better meal in a nice restaurant the day before and compared with all of the other food we had in different restaurants this one is way over priced. They do serve you at the table but beware they add a hefty service charge (17$ for our meal for two). I thought service was the choice of the diners not the servers! We had two starters and two main courses and two drinks for just under $130. Make your own mind up but you can get better food for a far cheaper price. Also be away the shepherds pie whilst very nice is just that - a pie with no side orders. We had better elsewhere and object to paying these prices for what after all is simply pub food served in a pub. Disappointed.

• Visited January 2014