“This was sweet!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Central Park Studios at Lexington Ave. Co.

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Central Park Studios at Lexington Ave. Co.
Falköping, Västra Götaland, Sweden
“This was sweet!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

I was there with my friends in september 2011.. Santos (I think it was his name) was a real good guy. I love Harlem, and if I´m going back to NY I think I can stay at this place on more time.. Four happy people from Sweden

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

I stayed here in August 2008. I turned up to the hostel in the middle of a nightmare! having just left my voluntary summer job at camp I was travelling on the subway in New York for the first time (I was an 18 year old female travelling on my own) when my backpack was stollen, which left me with no passport, flight itinery, mobile phone or any form of ID, basically I had lost everything apart from my money (thank god!!).
Anyway I made it to the hostel in such a panic as you an imagine and I told the man, I think his name was Santos, my situation. Oh my god he was such a gem he marched me down to the police station straight away and registered my stolen property, then he let me use his phone to make many phone calls back home (not cheap phoning between the USA and Scotland!) then he contacted the British embassy for me and printed out a map for me showing me how to get there. If it wasnt for Santos I dont know what would have happened, but thank god he was there to help me, very friendly understanding man, he set me on the straight and narrow which allowed me time to visit all the sights in New York during my 2 day stay.
As for the hostel it was clean, but quite stuffy, but hey it was very cheap and nicer than I had expected. I was in a bedroom with two bunk beds and there was a living room with sofa's and a TV, a bathroom, kitchen and a private double bedroom, it was like a tiny flat. I really got the New York feel staying in it and met some great people there. The area was rough, but you know what I loved it and explored Harlem without any trouble whatsoever. The subway is 5 mins round the corner as too is central park and some interesting museums round that way. If you fancy it, as I did just to explore, you can walk right down to the bottom of manhattan in about an hour and a half, which I recommend, it really soaked in the sights, sounds and smells of the city.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Debz_w_90
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

stay away from this place....

it is not safe! dodgy area. no staff at hostel at nite!! locks on doors broken! we were booked in for 6 nites, we stayed the 1st nite and left the next day. the nite we stayed we were scared all nite. we lost our deposit but didnt care, there is no price on safety !!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HUSSEYM

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2010

I was in shock when I saw the place, the area looked really rough and scared the life out of me. The reception was tiny and we could barely fit out cases in it. The staff were lovely and welcoming and helped us carry our bags up the narrow staircase. There were 2 communal showers/toilets and one had no lock on the door. Our room was ridiculously small, we could just about get our cases in the door way and had to take turns to walk around the bunk beds. There was no air con and the small fan in the room didn't work. It was close to a subway line and central park but that didn't make up for the place. I only saw one other couple whilst at the hostel and even though the staff were very nice I didn't feel safe or clean the whole time I was there. I wouldn't really reccommend it to anyone especially young travellers or anyone in small groups!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank lfg89
Oxford, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2009

Whilst the hostel was easy to find and not too inconvenient with respect to the underground system, the whole experience was a little disconcerting;

- The room was relatively clean, but locks on some doors were broken.

- The area may have been safe, but appeared rough and made you feel unsafe; there were police and fighting youths at night.

I'm sure there are better located places, for a similar amount of money, that don't make you feel so unsafe.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank adamp_666
northeast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2008

This hostel was dirty, had tiny shower rooms and was located in a rough neighborhood. You are better off staying somewhere else. On top of it all - it was $100 a night!

• Stayed November 2008
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank NEchk
Hamburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

Hey,

I know I'm writing this a little bit late, just stumbled upon tripadvisor again because I'm planning our next trip :) In November 2007 me and my girlfriend (both in the 20th from germany) spent almost a week in the Central Park Studios Hostel. I spent A LOT of time before the trip searching for cheap and clean Hostels in New York, and this was one of only 4 Hostels fitting our budget (around 50$ per person/night) that didn't have bad reviews about cockroaches or bedbugs and was in Manhatten.
I reserved the place over internet because there was no other way to do so. I even called the manager of the Hostel before the reservation because I wanted to make sure we get the place (because it was just 2 weeks or so before the trip), but he couldn't give me any information about available rooms and told me I had to make a reservation through internet and then everything would be ok.

The Hostel is situated in a very quiet area at the northeast edge of the Central Park, the metro is located just 2 blocks down, so just a jump away from the hostel. There is nothing special around in that area.
When we arrived from the airport by metro the manager was sitting in his office and welcomed us quite warmly.

We expected the worst for this cheap price when we moved to our room, and we were quite astonished when the manager opened the door. The room was small, but kind of cosy and clean, the most important of all. The mattresses were covered completly in plastic under the bed covers, so they were in excellent condition.
Of course everything was very simple, the shared bath room and shower are small and very basic, but everything was in a very acceptable condition.
The room contained a double bed (good construction), a little tv with a digital receiver and an empty fridge, everything very simple. No special view through the window. It seems our room was once part of a big living room, we had the remains of a chimney at our wall :)
The most important is, its absolutly quiet there during the day and night.

The hostel is occupying the whole building, and there is a security camera on every floor, so we weren't concerned about security, although the door locks are quite simple and could be broken up very easy I think.

To get to lower Manhatten calculate ca 20min in total with metro.

If you are searching for a quiet, cheap and clean place to sleep in New York and don't care about big space or 20min in metro to get to lower manhatten, this is what you were searching for :) Another place I can recommend is the "Hotel 31", where we stayed just for one night because it was fully booked on the other days.

• Liked — cleanliness, quiet location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple