“It's unique...and a dive”
Review of Gazala Place

Gazala Place
Reserve with OpenTable
Gazala Place is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,402 of 13,822 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Israeli
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Midtown
Texas
“It's unique...and a dive”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Ever heard of a Druze restaurant? Neither had I. First step, watch the film called The Syrian Bride. That's an easy entryway into this culture. The second best entryway? Gazala in Hell's Kitchen. They offer essentially Mediterranean food with a touch of the Balkans (think: hummus, burek, falafel). What makes this place unique (especially vs. a similar and more expansive menu right down the road at Balkanika) is it's humble and cozy environs and the fact that you are unlikely to ever get a chance to eat at a restaurant featuring food from this culture again. Go for an afternoon snack when it's not too busy. Allows BYOB.

Visited September 2013

Weyburn, Canada
“Had To Try It”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We went to this place in Hell's Kitchen which was quite near our hotel because we knew it was on "Diners, Drive-ins & Dives." It's very tiny, probably no more than 9 feet wide and seats about 20. The waitress stood the whole time we were there because there wasn't room for her to sit. We weren't too familiar with Druze cooking, but were happy with our choices. I may have had something different as I love lamb and lamb was on the menu but the waitress was quite curt and convincing that I must have the house specialty. I liked it okay but keep wondering how the lamb was. The food was great value for the money.

• Visited August 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
“Wanted to stop after watching Triple D”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

After seeing this restaurant on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives twice, it sounded like a good place to try on our visit to NY. We ordered some hummus and shared a chicken kabob dish. The food was good, but I guess we're not really fans of this type of food. I thought the portions were a little light, except that the hummus would have been enough for 6 and there were only two (maybe) pitas and only two of us, so most of the hummus was left over. Food was tasty but would not be interested in going back again. VERY small and tight place.

• Visited July 2013
“Can't wait to go again”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The waitress/hostess greeted us quickly. She didn't offer drinks but this is a small, unpretentious quirky place. She was informative and explained the various items on the menu and also the history of the owners origin. We ordered 2 appetizers and 2 entrees for two of us at a cost of $36. The food was delicious. My only complaint was my lamb in pita had very little lamb. The kibbe and cegars were yummy! If you want fancy and someone to wait on you like royalty, go elsewhere. If you want ethnic and real, this is the place.

• Visited June 2013
Cape May, New Jersey
“Disappointing...”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We visited the restaurant that they have on Columbus Ave on 4/27/13 and ordered appetizers, main courses and desserts for 4 people. I have to say that the food was very disappointing moreso given the prices they charge. The waitresses were also not impressive. It gives me great pain just to write this review. Need I say that I will never go there again?

• Visited April 2013