The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
Open today: 10:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
from $25.00
from $79.00
from $69.00
from $69.00
8,463 results
All reviews starry night van gogh sculpture garden pollock free friday andy warhol fifth floor famous paintings permanent collection on display free admission great collection special exhibit coat check new york audio guide rainy day
Reviewed yesterday

When I found out what a wide variety of art and artists are on display in the MoMA, it was short-listed immediately. It was a very good decision. There is a lot to be seen there, so be sure you have enough time at your disposal. Since a cream of modern art is shown there, you can bet the place will always be crowded, especially around the most famous artworks. You can even get in for free, but there is a great chance you'll end up elbowing your way through to a better position. There are spacious 5 floors in the museum which I will not describe here when you have all the info needed available at their official website. I just want to give you my 15 minutes of fame. I focused only on the 5th floor where you can find some of the most influential painters of pre avant-garde and avant-garde period, such as Gaugin, Van Gogh, Braque, Picasso, Cezanne, Boccioni, Carra, Mondrian, Gabo, Duchamp, Ernst, Miro, Warhol, Pollock, and others. To be standing in front of Picasso's The women of Avignon is one of the highlights I definitively want to point out. The painting is huge, life-size, I was able to follow the artist’s lines and thoughts as his brushes were following his imagination. Or feeling Van Gogh's Starry Night... the ultimate experience. Without those people there would be no design, no ambience decoration, no architecture versatility, no progress. Many of them left their lives for our wellbeing. Many of them did not live for themselves, the lived for the society. They will live forever, and the MoMA is imbued with this feeling.

Reviewed 2 days ago

My daughter Mirella and I went for the Kingelez exhibition and we left right afterward.We are New Yorkers and will be back soon. The building is very well designed: the right light, the right feeling and right everything.
Just fabulous from the collections, exhibitions, the bathrooms, the incredibly effective coat service and whatever I cannot think of now.

Reviewed 2 days ago

The wardrobe is well organised: you recollect your coat by phone number. Directly go to the fifth floor; in the main room you can enjoy Picasso, Monet, Rousseau (beautiful) and Vincent van Gogh's starry night. I think the paintings in this room have a value of approx 1 billion dollar. Incredibly beautiful. In the morning it was very busy; 20 people staring at the starry night. Once we visited the moma late in the day (15:00) when there were only a few people in the room.
The other collections are beautiful but cannot compare to those on the fifth floor.

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

This is a wonderful modern gallery which has all manner of modern art and installations. Some take your breath away and others are a mystery as to why they are there. Such is modern art. I went at the weekend and it was very busy but the rooms are large and airy so it doesn’t affect the experience. It was a wonderful experience

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

I headed here on a Friday evening for free with my parents. It was on a list of things to do, and with free entry from 4pm we thought we’d go along. The queue was long but they kept it constantly moving so we only waited for about 10 minutes. Once inside, the museum was heaving, and any food or drink you have in your bags has to be checked into the cloakroom; my dad queued for about 20 minutes to check his bag.
Then... the museum. It was recommended by a staff member it would take 2-3 hours to visit the whole museum. We were in there 10 minutes before wanting to leave. I’m unsure as to how they can call this the Museum of Modern Art, there’s nothing modern about it, it’s anout 4 floors of paintings. If that’s your thing then go, but I was expecting to be thrilled by modern art. I definitely wasn’t thrilled and would’ve been extremely underwhelmed and upset if I had paid the ridiculous $25 entry fee.

Reviewed 2 days ago

I really enjoyed the artwork at MoMa but the crowds somewhat hampered my overall experience. I went on a Monday at 10:00am and the museum was packed. The floorplan is also not the best for flow so you end up wandering aimlessly every now and then just trying to find your way back to the stairway. The 5th floor is particularly busy since works by Van Gogh and Picasso can be found there so my suggestion is to start at the top floor and work your way down.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

The museum is enjoyable but definitely not too enjoyable on Friday nights. Although this is when its free; the museum gets packed. There is a lot of pushing and just alot of interference with people. My favorite level is the Architecture floor since its my emphasis. Despite of my rushed experience there is an attention grabber on one of walls with an opening giving an illusion of nearly floating stairs. It’s very particular.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

We enjoyed looking at the various galleries, and could’ve spent a lot more time there than the three hours that we allowed. Some of the art is amazing and iconic, and other pieces are pretentious and, in my opinion, don’t qualify as art. But that is the nature of modern art; to each his own. We started at the top of the museum and worked our way down. I’m not sure if that was the best plan, but it worked well for us. We spent the least time in the sculpture collection, as it was too difficult to interpret. The outdoor sculpture garden is nice. If you can’t spare the time to do the museum, at least browse at the Design Store across the street.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

Packed to the rafters- lovely to see so many people loving modern art- great layout and wonderful to see so many works of famous artists- a must if you are in New York

Reviewed 3 days ago

A good day-long combination is the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) + nearby Saint Patrick's Cathedral. MoMA is spread over multiple floors, with the galleries on each floor concentrating on a particular artist of modern art theme. How much you enjoy each gallery will depend on your tastes; I was more interested in the Impressionist galleries than some of the modern "splatter" paintings.

In addition to the permanent collection with some very famous paintings, MoMA has temporary exhibits such as retrospectives on several artists; I enjoyed these. There's also an extensive history on the "brutalist" architecture that was very popular in Yugoslavia under dictators; I'm glad our experiences with both "brutalist" architecture & dictators has been limited.