“Best museum I've visited”

The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
$125.00*
and up
Viator VIP: Exclusive After-Hours Viewings at The...
Buy Tickets Online
$25.00*
and up
The Metropolitan Museum of Art Admission with...
$175.00*
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Ranked #3 of 1,144 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: At New York City's most visited museum and attraction, you will experience over 5,000 years of art from around the world. The Met is for anyone as a source of inspiration, insight and understanding. You can learn, escape, play, dream, discover, connect.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

This was my first trip to NYC and I made a point to see the Met for myself. There was so much to see and it can take hours to see it all. I think that there is something for everyone to see here. They have great exhibits on Greek, Roman, and Egyptian civilizations. I'm not a overly into going to museums but I thought visiting the met was a great experience. I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys art or history. They even had a interesting exhibit on punk culture.

Write a ReviewReviews (46,440)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I'm not sure why this isn't rated #1 for NYC attractions. Everyone should see the Met at least once in their lives. Tourists, locals, everyone. There is a suggested donation (entry fee): $25 for adults and $12 for students. Still a reasonable price for such a great place. I think most people give less.

It's so incredibly huge, it's not possible to see every exhibit/collection in one day. One of the current exhibits is photographs of the Civil War. The exhibit is much larger than I expected, but well worth the time.

It's impossible to say what is the best part of the Met. But if there is one particular part of history you enjoy, aim for that collection. You will be amazed at what you will find. I love the Armor collection, the Egyptian collection and Greek Sculpture. That alone is a full day. And you won't even leave the first floor! And the American Wing - Love it!

For the shoppers: There is a clearance shop located near/in the Egyptian collection. It's not attached to the main gift shop. Prices on jewelry, t-shirts, books and other items are drastically reduced. It's one floor below the main floor. Small staircase down, escalator up.

Enjoy!

1  Thank JudyMetroNYCarea
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Excellent seeing Picasso's, Matisse, & Dali which took my mind off the heat. Staff very helpful and pleasant.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This place is BIG! If you want to see it all, make sure to plan for enough time. We saw two floor in something like three hours. I'm not going to comment on what we saw, because that is a matter of personal taste. some we liked, some we just thought was stupid, but that's just us. There is more than enough to see, and it is presented in a very clean, clear way. I think we paid something like USD 20,- but I also understand there are times when it is free. so do your research.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The modern art section currently on show is excellent as is the Punk from Chaos to Couture! The temporary exhibition is well curated and like an art installation in itself.