“Somewhat informative”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Skyscraper Museum

Skyscraper Museum
Ranked #311 of 1,078 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Wall Street was the building ground for early skyscrapers, and this museum is dedicated to studying and enjoying them.
1,215 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 560 helpful votes
“Somewhat informative”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I visited this museum because it was listed in 1000 Places to See Before You Die (US Edition). It is a bit hidden but the price isn't too much compared to some museums in NYC. It is small, but they have tried to pack a lot of information in there. They go over the history of the first skyscrapers and the major skyscrapers of New York, plus they have a small area dedicated to the skyscrapers of the world. If you have the time and are down by Battery Park, pop in.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank jehenson81

• Korean first
Long Valley, New Jersey
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Save your $5”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Thought we would visit this museum as an alternative to the more austere museums nearby. However, as another reviewer noted - the "clerk" at the entry was beyond rude - even after we toured the whole floor and purchased a souvenir for my son.

It is only 1 floor and just filled with architects models. There is one interesting display of a video screen showing different views from varying heights but that's about it. Skip this one. And if management is reading - you might want to do some reworking of personnel.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank rickypiper
Nottingham, United Kingdom
176 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 203 helpful votes
“Disappointing, one to miss”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We went on recommendation from a locals guide book. The advertised reopening exhibition was not complete so we only saw one floor of exhibits. Just assessing the way the information is presented, in our view, is not very user friendly. Just pictures and dry writing and some models. Also coming for London they may wish to consider adding the tallest building in Western Europe, the Shard, to their collection. We were sorry that we wasting the journey time getting there. Very poorly signposted as well

Visited October 2013
Houston, Texas
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“It's a coffee table book”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I find skyscrapers to be interesting, so I found the museum to be interesting. The problem with this place is that it's just not much of a museum. It's more like someone took a good coffee table book on New York skyscrapers and put all of the pages on some walls, along with a few run-down models. If you like skyscrapers, some of the content will interest you, but there really isn't much in the way of exhibits.

Visited August 2013
Oceanside, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Small, interesting, affordable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

The architecture of NYC intrigued me enough to seek out this museum. Compared to other museums, I paid only a tiny admission fee. It consisted of one large room, with mostly photos and write-ups about the skyscraper race that led to taller and taller buildings, as well as ornate decorations on the outsides. Skyscrapers in other cities were also discussed when they were relevant to the race. Chicago was mentioned frequently. I would have loved even a SINGLE place to sit down while reading the information. I was there for an hour and a half and saw most of it (though I found the info. on the new World Trade Center to be too depressing to look at). There was a very interesting video (at least 15 minutes long) about the building of the original World Trade Center twin towers. This would have been the perfect place for a bench. There was a smattering of information on the decorations on the outsides of the skyscrapers, but I would have loved to see more, as that is what I had hoped to learn about). When I was in the restroom, the lights turned off because they were on a motion sensor that was set on a very short time span. I was glad I was not in the stall at the time, but was by the sink. It turned off a couple more times as I washed my hands, and I had to keep waving my arms to get the lights to turn on again. There is a tiny book shop near the entrance of the museum, and I would have liked to have seen some souvenirs. For the small amount that I paid to get in, I was glad I went. It's right across the street from the Holocaust Museum, and both could possibly be visited in the same day.

Visited July 2013