“The icing on our Honeymoon cake”

Zip Aviation - Helicopter Tours & Charters
Book In Advance
More Info
$249.00*
and up
New York Manhattan Scenic Helicopter Tour
Ranked #76 of 595 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Zip Aviation's Professional Aviation Team is committed to constantly improving our customer's experience. Our NEW management and flight crew teams are focused on your safety. We are completely dedicated to deliver an awesome experience during your visit and Tour. We strive to be the consumate and Premier Helicopter Service in New York City.
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“The icing on our Honeymoon cake”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

The Big City Tour was purchased for my husband and I as a wedding present. We made contact with Zip on arrival in Manhattan last weekend, scheduled our flight for Monday 29 October and got on with enjoying the rest of our itinerary in the mean time. It was a couple of days later that Hurricane Sandy decided to join us. Zip called me on my mobile to ask if we could postpone the flight by a couple of days, we said no as we were due to leave NYC on Wednesday, so they brought the flight forward to Sunday with no fuss or bother.

We arrived at the heliport at our newly allotted time, were welcomed by friendly staff, given a safety briefing and were in the air on time, despite the storm moving into the city and the conditions getting notably colder and windier. This all added to the experience to be honest.

Our pilot Jeff was friendly and knowledgeable without overdoing the tour guide spiel - he took time to point out the less obvious or less well known landmarks which made for an interesting flight. The flight was smooth and comfortable, and lasted for about 20 minutes.

I don't know how much was paid for the experience, as it was a gift, so it's difficult for me to measure value for money and make any kind of comparison to Zip's competitors. What I can do is give you an honest appraisal of the service we received, which was excellent, professional and friendly. We both felt very safe and will remember this as the experience of a lifetime, the biggest highlight of our Honeymoon without a doubt.

Things you should you know:

- You need to pay $30 per person heliport charge, in addition to the tour cost, on arrival at the heliport.
- The Heliport is conveniently located about a 5 minute walk from Whitehall Street subway station at the Staten Island Ferry terminal.
- There are lockers available for $2 as you can't take anything other than a camera with you on the flight.
- You are allocated a seat based on your weight and that of all passengers on your particular flight - we didn't get to specify window or front seats for example.
- You are each strapped into a safety floatation belt before you board the helicopter - no need to worry about parachutes etc.
- They take your photograph stood outside the helicopter before you fly, which you can purchase after your flight. We bought one for $20, but as we hadn't paid for the flight we didn't mind treating ourselves. I would normally hesitate to buy such 'theme park' style photographs as I think they're a rip-off. I have to say, I'm really glad we bought it and can share it with our family who paid for the trip, and perhaps it's one of those occasions when you pay the going rate because you may never do something like a helicopter flight again.
- You wear a headset to be able to hear the pilot's commentary and to communicate amongst the passengers - it's really really noisy without the headset.

I think that's it really, other than to say we felt like we were in safe, well organised, professional hands, we had an AMAZING flight and would be very very happy to recommend Zip Helicopter Tours to fellow travellers. Our tour was booked in the UK through the Viator website.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A MUST-DO!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

This was totally worth the cost. It's the best way to see NYC! You see so many landmarks, famous sites. A totally unique way to see this remarkable city. Staff are friendly and efficient.

Zip M, Guest Relations Manager at Zip Aviation - Helicopter Tours & Charters, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Hello Kerri,

We are so very pleased that you enjoyed the experience, and we truly appreciate your feedback! Zip Aviation's priorities are safety and quality customer service; we are happy to know you experienced both. I will pass along your review to our team members, and please come again soon!

Meagan
Potsdam, Germany
“Wow - NY from the Sky”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had a wounderfull flight over Manhatten & liberty island. The organisation was so perfect as the pilot can fly. Leyia from the desk was so friendly and would send as our foto per e-mail, i hope she do it next time.
Thank you for all. Blume (flight at 17.Okt.2012)

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Excellent Flight, slightly marred by poor customer service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

My girlfriend booked this experience as a birthday gift for our trip to NYC. First of all, our pilot, Andrew was a true gentleman, who put my nervous flyer of a girlfriend at complete ease during our flight. The experience itself was unforgettable and absolutely incredible and I would recommend it to anybody, even for uneasy/nervous flyers. However, the experience from a customer experience side was quite poor. Due to the limited time of our trip, we had carefully structured our day, and we were told to arrive 45 minutes before the flight, which we did (after confirming three days in advance by telephone the exact time of flying). Upon arrival we were informed that this was in fact unnecessary, and told to go for a walk, as a large group was ahead of us, and that they would get priority. This led us to believe that reservations with ZIP meant nothing. Eventually we boarded our flight an hour and ten minutes after our reserved time (a full two hours after initially arriving at the heliport), with nothing else to do in the surrounding area, in a city in which you are desperate to do everything. ZIP clearly have a great product which is negated by generally poor customer service, with the obvious exception of the excellent pilot, who made up for the tense atmosphere before the flight.

4 Thank Tom L
Zip M, Guest Relations Manager at Zip Aviation - Helicopter Tours & Charters, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Hello Tom,

First off I would like to say thank you for choosing Zip Aviation. I am so pleased you experienced great customer service through your experience with Andrew. Here at Zip Aviation we strive for safety, customer service, and professionalism as our highest priorities. The 45-minute prior arrival time is required to make sure we have adequate time on busy traffic days or bad weather days to check in and weigh our customers as well as have them view the safety video. If days are running more smoothly as it sounds like it was on your tour date, we typically recommend passengers check in so we know they are in fact there, and then grab something to eat at Pier 17 nearby. Your comments are valuable to us, and I will pass your feedback on to the rest of our team members. Once again, we are thankful you chose us, and I know Andrew will be happy to here your compliment about him!

Meagan
Zip Aviation Management
Miami, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I went with several large groups and finally had the opportunity to fly. Everyone was very cordial and professional. The office was clean and very organized. I really enjoyed it and will definitely recommend it to anyone!