“Just what I was looking for!”
Review of The Hotel 91

The Hotel 91
Ranked #341 of 467 Hotels in New York City
LaBelle, Florida
“Just what I was looking for!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

When I travel the only requirements I have for the hotel are that it's clean, good location, and it doesn't drain my budget. That is exactly what Hotel 91 is. The staff was very friendly at check in and helped us navigate to the nearest subway entrance. Our room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. It's obvious that it's an older building and the rooms are a little cramped-but that's just how it goes in NYC. Who goes to NYC to hangout in a hotel room anyway? Not me! The location was also really nice! It was awesome to visit all of the Chinese shops and restaurants and the people were friendly.

I've stayed in Midtown a few times and definitely prefer staying at Hotel 91. I highly recommend it and consider it my own NYC secret.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Miss_Van8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Czech first
Reviewed June 26, 2014

By New York standards, our two-queen-bed room was palatial, particularly for the price. The hotel was very quiet, and the staff was kind and courteous. We had some great Asian meals in the neighborhood, plus there's an American-style breakfast/lunch joint called the Cup and Saucer a couple blocks away. The subway stop is a few blocks away but not too far. We also easily hailed cabs just out front. Honestly, I can't say enough about how clean, comfortable and affordable Hotel 91 was.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Heidi H
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Location in Chinatown, markets on the street smelled bad, parking a block and a half away, about $35.00. Ordered dinner and breakfast delivered because I was afraid to walk outside. Not at all what I expected for location after seeing the website. The pictures were beautiful, and I felt completely safe once inside. Nice granite and tile bathroom, comfortable beds. I ordered dinner and breakfast in since I didn't want to venture outside again. Call me coward, but coming from a small town...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank MaryJsFoodArtTravel
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Just returned from a weekend trip to NYC. Family and I stayed at Hotel 91 in Chinatown. I found the hotel a great place to use as a base to explore Chinatown. The hotel is loacted next to the Manhattan Bridge and it's elevated train tracks so train noise might be an issue to some. The front staff was very friendly, courteous and helpful. The room was okay. Clean and cool. Had a couple of problems. 1. The bathtub drain would not close. 2. The bedside lamp would not stay on,either, a problem with switch or socket. Other than those minor issues, I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank shel7518
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Pros

- A great hotel considering the price and location.
- There are a few guys that operate the vintage elevator, they were all nice, cheerful and friendly
- 10 minutes walk to the nearest subway station. F line
- Nice diners nearby. Try Cup and Saucer diner!
- Large rooms for Manhattan standard.
- Good sleep quality (say whatt?). Well, I live in the middle of the city in Kuala Lumpur. I am very used to the traffic noise. The noise made by the rempits (google rempits, you learn something new everyday) in front of my apartment in Malaysia is waaaaayyy noisier than what you get at Hotel 91.
- Clean rooms
- You are in China Town, enjoy the sights and the sound.
- They have a coin operated laundry and dryer on the 7th floor. Awesome!

Cons
- The reception staff wasn't so friendly.

Room Tip: They have a coin operated laundry and dryer on the 7th floor. Try not to get 2nd floor rooms as thi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CE123
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are small but clean. This was perhaps the first time I'd stayed in a perfectly triangular room but it was functional. The lifts were being renovated when we stayed so some poor young lad was sleeping in the service lift and collecting us every time we wanted to go to our 7th floor room. The bed was comfy and clean and the room was basic but functional. The noise from the train really is a problem if you want a decent nights sleep. The whole room vibrates from the noise. The location of the hotel is dirty and smelly but walking distance to the 911 memorial and battery park for trips to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island which was quite handy. Finding breakfast nearby in the early morning is a hassle. You need to walk to Broadway about a mile away to have any choice. The staff were friendly enough even turning down tips which has to be a first.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Dumbledore2
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Wasn't sure what to expect (as we were on a budget) but upon arrival we loved the clean and bright entrance lobby and were greeted by friendly staff. We were taken to our room and were immediately thrilled with how spotlessly clean it was. The bathroom was super hygienically clean and the shower was powerful and again, super clean. Beds comfy with fresh linen. Having read other reviews I guess we were lucky to have had a room on the 7th floor and we could see the new World Trade Centre and the Woolworth Building from our window. Gorgeous at night! Yes the trains were loud but hey, so what! Those who have moaned about it I would say "what do you expect from a train"!! ONLY one negative and that's that there are no provisions for making a tea/coffee in the room so we were glad we took a small travel kettle! Others reviews complain of China Town being dirty - I would say again, so what. Its a thriving busy community where you can buy fresh fruit and a good stroll around will expose you to a world far removed from your own, we loved it. 2 min walk to the nearest subway. TIPS - you must try Dim Sum Go Go restaurant at No. 5, bet dim sum ever. When we paid our bill we were shocked at the value for 5 nights amazing value. I would recommend this hotel to families, solo our couples who want all of the above on a budget but who expect cleanliness and friendliness. I cannot fault this hotel!

Room Tip: Recommend 7th floor (above railway line) and views better. Recommend room 704!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family