“Better than Toys R Us”
Review of FAO Schwarz - CLOSED

FAO Schwarz
More attraction details
Owner description: This world-famous toy store is a great place for kids to browse, play - and of course, shop.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Better than Toys R Us”
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went here for the first time after our day in central park.
Pros: Prices are very reasonable which was a surprise due to the fact that everything in new york is high priced.
Several different work shops for kids and adults to do together.
Souvenirs, all types of candy and toys to choose from.
Cons: The big piano from movie "big" had to long of a line and to many people in front to get close to it.
Since the prices are reasonable my wife bought too much!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Warwickshire, England
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Fun but worth the hype?”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Visited the store as it's a bit of an NYC "must-do", if only just to see the BIG piano however I am not sure I really understand the hype. Toys were overpriced and there wasn't much that I couldn't have got in England. Probably wouldn't go back nor would I really advise making a special trip unless you're a film fan!

Niagara Falls, Ontario
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“Fun!”
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

Great toy store for kids. Tons of different options for everyone. Only complaint is that is gets very crowded and can feel overwhelming at times. Definitely worth a trip.

1 Thank Canadatravellers2
London, England, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Hours of fun”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Having been a Hamleys regular I was worried the kids would be unimpressed with FAO but they loved it. The Big taro reader was fun and the giant piano too.
My boys loved the rc toys and making their custom car.

Udon Thani
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 199 helpful votes
“Recommended for All Ages”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

This is this the most famous toy store in the world. I was in NYC for only two nights in December 2013 and we made it here a little before closing on the final night. The place has multiple floors filled with toys of all different varieties. This includes some old classics, newer toys, learning material; stuffed animals, branded items and so much more. There is much more to do however than just looking at toys. The oversized piano that was made famous by the 1998 film Big that starred Tom Hanks is still there as a main attraction and anyone of any age can take time playing on it for free. They will however try to sell you a photo, but just the same can snap them on your camera or phone.

There is also a build a bear workshop. I was here with my 14-year daughter, 31-year sister and my mother, so didn’t really expect anyone would be interested. I was however surprised when my daughter got excited upon seeing this and wanted to make a bear. Then my sister who hadn’t been as keen on being in a major upscale toy store as she’s slightly a simple living type was leaving and made plans to meet us after. I said half-serious / half-joking, do you want to make a bear I’ll pay for it. The offer caught her off guard which evident by her blink and facial expression, she blinked spent a few moments, before seriously asking, really? In order to confirm. She thought about it a moment more and said okay. She had a great time making this, and then the three other in my party went and played on the Big Piano next. This they loved and got Facebook likes galore from all their friends when I posted a photos and tagged all three.

Some of the reviews mention no smiles from staff. This was not at all our experience as everyone was friendly and one lady struck up conversation so well with my Mom, that none of us had witnessed, that later when we all together bumped into her they had us convinced they were longtime friends. The couple places I checked out were the same too, at the final check out I was even given a tip on a promo that saved me $5.00 from the bill. There was an option to donate to Toys for Tots at the register which is thoughtful too.

Some other items I bought included an FAO Schwarz branded bear for my youngest son that wasn’t there. My daughter also got her brother and sister who are huge fans of Sponge Bob a branded kit to make a gingerbread candy house, which upon her return home they had a blast making.

I recommend FAO Schwarz to anyone with at least 3 days in NYC, no matter what the age. For those with children, it becomes a near must even for shorter trips.

Visited December 2013