“Expected Far More”
Review of FAO Schwarz - CLOSED

FAO Schwarz
More attraction details
Owner description: This world-famous toy store is a great place for kids to browse, play - and of course, shop.
Dallas, Texas
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Expected Far More”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was one of the places we had on our list that we just had to visit while in NY. Walking in there were miniature copies of the famous piano keyboard available for purchase for about $79, which made us more determined to see that giant keyboard. It's actually on the second floor (following a walk up the broken escalator). It wasn't at all what we expected. You first need to step in front of a green wall and make a crazy pose; that's so you can potentially purchase photos of yourself superimposed on the giant piano. Next onto the keyboard. My daughters said many of the keys didn't work, and it wasn't nearly as much fun as it looked in the movie Big. There wasn't a line at all so we can now say "been there, done that." The Lego section was fun with life-sized replicas of various characters from movies; but like most things in the store, you can get Legos anywhere. Go just for the experience.

1 Thank Lynne0725

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Greenville, SC
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Giant normal nothing special.”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We visited on a Sunday and besides the normal crowd, I was truly unimpressed. I expected to see so much more than what I see in any regular toy store. The staff is either really friendly or really surly. There was a long line to play on the big piano which was filthy and in bad condition. Except for the bragging rights to claim that indeed you have been there - don't make any special effort. It's just not worth it.

Ithaca, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A+++ for kids!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Great place, my 8 yr old loved it! But beware to spend some money parents! Toys and candy galore!!!!

usa
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Expected to see Unique Toys”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

FAO was a must see during my visit in NYC. I expected to see many unique toys, but the majority of toys displayed I've seen in major toy or department stores. A couple of items caught my eye..I was surprised to see "Fraggle Rock" hand puppets. I was so tempted in purchasing one. There is an area where you can purchase and build your own "Muppet". If your looking for a souvenir with the FOA logo, I noticed Christmas ornaments and teddy bears. I purchased a FOA teddy bear to display during Christmas.

Anoka
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Sooooo Disapointed”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was my wife and my first shopping stop when we arrived in NY. we had heard and seen so much about it on TV and in movies. It was no big thing from the outside and inside it was one disappointment after another. It was nothing special. Full of stuffed animals and not full of state of the art toys. I had brought my bank statement with hopes of getting into the high dollar exclusive room for the elite and was told it no longer exists. The help was of no use except one lady I found who was exceptional and she could not even look me in the eye and say anything good. She just agreed that the store was a sad shell of what it once was. it turns out that Toys R Us has bought the store and obviously taken it down to their level. The last straw was trying to check out. There was help and registers all over the store. but the help was just stocking shelves or goofing around and non of the registers were open except one at the ground floor near the front and one on the second floor at the back. Both had HUGE lines and we bought a Christmas ornament and they had to put it in a bag the size for a 3ft high stuffed animal because it was all they had. It was just SADDDDDD! Don't waste your time. They do have the large piano keyboard that you can play on!

2 Thank SDeuker