“Bit disappointing”
Review of FAO Schwarz - CLOSED

FAO Schwarz
More attraction details
Owner description: This world-famous toy store is a great place for kids to browse, play - and of course, shop.
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

This was all about the big piano but unfortunately the queue and surly member of staff put paid to that. Massively overpriced and not in the same class as Hamleys in London. Sweet shop on the store was real highlight

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I'm glad to have visited this institution. Unfortunately it failed my 8-year old's test. He didn't find anything he wanted (except for Lego, which I don't buy on holiday). Looking for a Barbie as a birthday gift, I found the selection quite limited. However, there were highlights like the fantastic Muppet workshop. The candy shop was quite impressive as well.

The café is located at the far end of the first floor, and is really just a sales booth with a table and a few chairs by the window. So not somewhere to rest - and surely rest encourages more shopping? I bought a cupcake, which was huge, and a bit overwhelming.

I doubt I'll be returning.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

After reading about the history of the toystore I really wanted to see it. After we got over our initial shock of so much candy on the main floor we went upstairs and we found little more than what what you would find in ToysRus. In fact their receipts display the logo, so they must be owned by the ubiquitous toy conglomerate. There were skillful demonstrations of clever toys, there were interesting lego displays and an amazing corner was dedicated to intricate doll house furnishings. To me the floor piano was another tourist trap. My eight year old son was mesmerized, but then he hasn't seen a toy store he didn't instantly like. If you find yourself in New York with kids and you have exhausted all other attractions, then maybe this would be worth a visit. But don't expect old world charm, history or lasting memories. Well, perhaps one: Zoltar the Great.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

This toy store is huge! If you are traveling with kids this is a must and a great place to buy something to take home to them. They have a giant candy shop on the first floor, tons of toys on the second floor and baby stuff in the basement level. We always enjoy going here during our visits to NYC.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

The shop wasn't as big as we expected but it was full of cool toys and huge sweets. The big piano wasn't as big as we thought and didn't feel special. The whatnot factory was amazing and we ended up buying two of them. Worth the trip overall.