Tripadvisor

from $37.50
from $79.00
from $37.34
6,531 results
All reviews hard times tour lower east side irish outsiders immigrant experience sweatshop tour orchard street sweatshop workers immigrant families shop life tour irish family living conditions sweat shop irish tour immigrant history early immigrants victoria confino new york
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We did the Sweatshop Tour and had THE RUDEST tour guide ever. This is my 4th tour here and it was my friends 1st.
Our tour guide was very blunt and not very informative or friendly. When someone asked her about the Polish city that the first immigrant family came from, she said she had no idea how to spell it or how to pronounce it so they would have to figure it out themselves to look it up. When a person in our group walked into a bedroom, she said I told you not to go in there. She spoke to us like we were bad children. She didn't seem to have the social skills to deal with a group over 40 years of age. When a person in our group walked into a bedroom, she said I told you not to go in there. She spoke to us like we were bad children. She didn't seem to have the social skills to deal with a group over 40 years of age. We were so disappointed.

1  Thank srainaldi
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very interesting historical look back. It was good to hear details of the family living in the house. The apartments were tiny and I enjoyed seeing both the untouched apartment and the recreated suite. If you like history then this will be of interest. It doesn't go for too long so it can squeeze into a busy travel schedule.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If you want to get a better understanding of life in the Lower East Side and get a feel of the way immigrants settled in NYC over the last 150 years, this is the best place to go. You can only visit the museum through a guided tour, of which they have several. We did the 'Under one roof' tour. It was just amazing to see how different immigrant families lift in this area/apartment in different decades (1950-1980). I recommend it, a must see place when you visit NYC

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I visited the Tenement Museum whilst on a trip to NY with my family in May 2019. My husband and children didn't fancy it, so I went on my own. I LOVED it!

It was easy to get to on the subway, with the station being only a short walk away. All the tours sounded really interesting, but due to the time I chose to go on the Irish Outsiders tour and then the Hard Times tour. Both tours took place at 97 Orchard Street, but focused on the stories of a different family/families. Having visited the immigration museum at Ellis Island the tours brought to life the people that I imagined being "processed" there. The tour guides were really knowledgeable and calmly answered the many questions posed by the group. Before going on the tour I did wonder how the hour would be filled, however the time went in a flash and I feel sure that the guides could have continued talking for much longer. There were ample opportunities to ask questions and interesting things came from the questions of the other members of the group.

I enjoyed my time at the Tenement Museum so much that I returned the next day to take part in the Under One Roof tour at 103 Orchard Street. This tour was an hour and a half long, and the one I enjoyed the most. The guide for this tour was fantastic, and made you feel as if she had known the Epsteins and the Veless and the Wongs personally. But the thing that really made this tour was the other guests. There were first generation children of Jewish migrant Holocaust survivors among the party and they added to the stories of the Epstein family with reminiscences of their own. They had grown up in similar conditions in tenements in the city.

I would have done all the tours had I had the time!

My only disappointment was that I could not take pictures.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Have always wanted to visit this museum but never made it so set aside a day to get there on this visit. Tours shop life / all under one roof / sweatshop / hard times - as the premis is to tell the story through differing families there is little cross over - the tour very much depends on your story teller - educator - in the main these were excellent and very knowledgable. It is fascinating to see back in time - the spaces are either as found - as in not restored - or restored to meet the family whose story told within that space. Would highly recommend the shop life and hard times tours as the two cover the time line of the main social history aspects for the building. Note no photography is allowed.