“Wonderful tour, especially if you have immigrant heritage.”
Review of Tenement Museum

East Village Walking Tour with Food Tasting
Ranked #29 of 1,122 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Tenement Museum preserves the history of immigration through the personal accounts of those who built lives in the Lower East Side. Visitors can view restored apartments from the 19th and 20th centuries, walk the historic neighborhood, and interact with residents to learn the stories of generations of immigrants who helped shape the American experience. The museum is available by guided tour only. Each tour focuses on a specific theme and takes visitors to a different area of the building or neighborhood.
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I'm a fan of tours; my husband not so much. We both loved this. My relatives were Italian and settled in the Bronx; his were Jewish and quite possibly settled in New York somewhere, possibly in the Tenement Museum's neighborhood. The tour was a real peek inside the homes and lives of the immigrants who sacrificed so much. We did the Sweatshop Workers Tour, and would have done more if we had the time. I won't give away any details, but the guide gave us some really wonderful information on the lives of these people that we have never heard anywhere else. I think about my ancestors in a whole new way. Our tour guide was really highly educated and did a wonderful job of interpreting historical information for us. Well worth the time and money for folks of all ages. I don't know how you could get this unique experience anywhere else.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Friends told me about the Tenement Museum in NYC. I took the "Sweatshop Workers" tour because of scheduling constraints as well as interest. I enjoyed it and learned quite a bit. Entering the building is a bit of a shock because of the authenticity of the building. The tour group is small, and we saw three apartments at 97 Orchard Street over the course of one hour. I appreciated that the occupants of the those three apartments were researched through census records, (1890s-1920 I think) and personal history as told by descendants and other family members. In many ways it is the story of the American dream, because these families all bettered themselves as they worked hard and emerged from poverty into the middle class. Though the living conditions were harsh and overcrowded NY, it wasn't much different from immigrant farmers eking out a living on the prairie or the deep woods where loneliness and isolation are hardships in addition to back-breaking work. Our guide (Berto) was engaging and personable. Good book store and short video prior to tour is helpful. Reservations recommended. I'd go back and take another tour the next time in NYC.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is an amazingly informative and fascinating experience. It really brings to life what life would have been like when New York was an immigration hub. We did two tours back to back and hung on the guides' every word. I can't wait to go back and do the others.

1  Thank CJDHP
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Excellent tours telling the story of American immigrants with imagination and enthusiasm. Great to see the buildings where immigrants lived.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

This little museum has some very interesting tour about life in the LES in the 1800s and 1900s. Tour guides are extremely knowledgable and fun, the groups are small so everyone really enjoys the visit and you can really see the care, thought and research that was put into each of the tours.
The museum shop is also filled with quality gift ideas, books & quirky bits & pieces of LES history.
The beer shop across the street is also worth a visit! ;)