“Excellent”

East Village Walking Tour with Food Tasting
Ranked #28 of 1,116 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Tenement Museum preserves the history of immigration through the personal accounts of those who built lives in the Lower East Side. Visitors can view restored apartments from the 19th and 20th centuries, walk the historic neighborhood, and interact with residents to learn the stories of generations of immigrants who helped shape the American experience. The museum is available by guided tour only. Each tour focuses on a specific theme and takes visitors to a different area of the building or neighborhood.
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is so well done, we did the Irish family tour, and the Jewish tailor family.
The way that family history research has been used and tied up to the present day is interesting and poignant.

The staff are entertaining and obviously enjoy the tours.

There are newer reviews for Tenement Museum

Reviewed November 18, 2013

The guides were excellent. This is a museum that brings the experience alive and present. I really gained more insight into my family's roots in this country.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

This museum surprised me. it was interesting and I look forward to going back to do a different tour.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

This was very interesting. We went to the tour of the early german immigrant family and the later Italian family. The building is in bad shape which was part of the charm. If I every come back to NY I would take another tour here.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Once again the brilliant conservationist save a piece of our past. The tours are a bit over priced considering how much traffic they get but still the Tenement is worth a looksies. I actually went on a few of the tours and recommend in this order: #1 Sweatshop is the most intuitive for what was going on in that hood #2 Hard times -it's a dismal and tragic story but very interactive and you get to see a lot. #3 and my least favorite was the Irish Outsiders, despite my Irish decent this tour had a long sitting period where you listen to a radio talk and sing songs. You learn and see more on the others in my opinion. However, if you can afford the trio I think you will be satisfied especially if you're a fan of history. I always recommend this place to my guests!