Open today: 10:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Book In Advance
In high demand - travelers recommend booking ahead!

Ways to Experience Tenement Museum
from $55.30
More Info
from $37.50
More Info
6,248 results
All reviews hard times tour lower east side irish outsiders immigrant experience sweatshop tour orchard street sweatshop workers shop life tour immigrant families irish family living conditions sweat shop irish tour immigrant history early immigrants new york step back in time
Selected filters
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is a more participatory experience than most museums. You don't wander are exhibits on your own but are taken on specific tours that you sign up for in advance. We went on the sweatshop tour with a very knowledgable guide. We learned a lot about what it was like to live and work in the tenements and had plenty of opportunity to discuss and ask questions.

Also their gift/bookshop is excellent. I bought some gifts for the holidays. While in the shop area, don't miss the continuously running film. It's a good orientation to the whole experience.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I had read the great reviews and I guess I was expecting more from this museum/tour. The group is led through the apartments while a tour guide discusses living conditions during the time period. It was hot, stuffy and crowded (like living in a tenement) which made it uncomfortable, especially for some of the older people in our group. Half way through the tour, I found myself looking at my watch, wishing I was outside in the fresh New York air...

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This museum was recommended by a couple of friends. It is in the lower east side area. The historical perspective was excellent, as was the quality of the tour guide. We took the "hard times" tour, but there are others to select from as well.

Date of experience: July 2013
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This museum is a little gem in Manhattan. You could easily spend an entire day here doing different tours. We did the shop tour which was fascinating and a great use of technology. I will definitely go back for more of the tours.

My only complaint is the high price of admission. This is part of the National Parks Units and should be much more reasonably priced.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is a must for anyone who loves history. I love history and this museum was one of the highlights of our trip. To learn more and to better understand what the late 1800's to the early 1900's immigrants went through was amazing. The story tellers do an awesome job too. We will definitely take friend here next time we are in they city.