Open today: 10:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Book In Advance
In high demand - travelers recommend booking ahead!

Ways to Experience Tenement Museum
from $37.50
More Info
from $69.00
More Info
6,048 results
All reviews hard times tour lower east side irish outsiders immigrant experience sweatshop tour orchard street sweatshop workers shop life tour immigrant families irish family living conditions sweat shop irish tour early immigrants immigrant history victoria confino new york
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband, a recovering history major, booked the family including our three veteran-museum-going daughters (ages 13,10, 8) on the "sweatshop tour" during a July visit to NYC. Were it not for some cooling-off rains that day, the tour might have been "more authentic" than most visitors would want. Sure it was a long and talky for the youngest, but what a great space for developing a for feel and understanding of just how challenging tenement life was. I liked the (rare) duel approach to the space with one apartment preserved and one being restored. The fact that actual family histories are known makes it a powerful "history from below." And it has a first rate gift shop/bookstore!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Love the history and interactive learning experience. Our guide was so knowledgable and really encouraged our questions and participation. Be sure to go online and look at all of the tours they offer and buy tickets ahead of time.

1  Thank Marya S
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Interesting and surprising. I had no idea this museum existed. Took the Irish Family Tour which was amazing! A great opportunity to learn about our immigrants and how they existed in NYC. Just think, 6-10 people in 300square feet, no water, no bathroom - makes you think, especially since we seem to live in a world of mega mansions! I'll go back for the other tours.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

A good guide and excellent "set" made tenement living come to life! We would return to see other apartments.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been meaning to visit this museum and never made the time...MOMA, Met., shows etc got in the way.

This has to be one of the best conceived and orchestrated tours in NYC. Our tour guide was very articulate and knowledgeable about the subject matter, the tours are limited to a small number of people, and the exhibit itself was very interesting. The tenement has been been reconstructed to represent life as it was in the 1860s. The tour gives you access to primary source documents and a fun interactive exercise using smart boards. This is a tour where you learn a lot and actually have an opportunity to think and engage. I felt like I was back in school (but better)!

I wish I could remember the name of our tour guide because she was excellent (Sunday 7/21 2pm tour)

2  Thank safetravel