“Good experience”

East Village Walking Tour with Food Tasting
Ranked #58 of 1,153 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Tenement Museum preserves the history of immigration through the personal accounts of those who built lives in the Lower East Side. Visitors can view restored apartments from the 19th and 20th centuries, walk the historic neighborhood, and interact with residents to learn the stories of generations of immigrants who helped shape the American experience. The museum is available by guided tour only. Each tour focuses on a specific theme and takes visitors to different areas of our two historic tenement buildings or neighborhood.
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Had a great time here. Joined the hour long tour and listened to the poignant and detailed story of two families and their struggles as emigrants to NYC. The guide was very knowledgable, polite and friendly. I'd go to do another tour and although I didn't have time, did notice that there is what looks like a great craft beer bar across the road from it.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,725)
All reviews
in 69 reviews
"new york"
in 815 reviews

Reviewed November 14, 2012

This was a fun tour, especially if you are with children (I was with two kids and a teenager and they all enjoyed it), but also for adults. My only criticism, if it can be called that, is that it is too short. Seeing the apartment as it was in 1916 really brings perspective to how people lived then. The tour guides/actors are very knowledgeable, and I think any insights into our local history are worth experiencing. If you are at all curious about how immigrants and their families lived in NYC a century ago, you will enjoy this tour.

2  Thank Karen N
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was my second visit to the Tenement Museum. Last year I went on a neighborhood tour which was fascinating. This year I brought a group of 5 women to visit the Tenement Museum. Four of us went on the Irish Outsiders tour and one went on the Sweatshops tour. We found them very informative and illuminating. The tour guides were excellent and the visual aids very helpful. They brought our immigrant history alive for us in concrete and interesting ways. I would highly recommend a visit to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum and plan to return myself to go on a different tour.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I've been living in NYC for almost two years now, and it is my favorite museum! It's a good place to go in depth into american history, and how it grew to be the country we now know. Highly recommend it.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 12, 2012

we visited the tenement museum on a very cold blizzardy day in november and were glad we made the effort. off the usual museum track but well worth the effort. we went on the tour explaining about the Irish Settlers in NY in the late 1800's and were told so much about their lives and struggles, it was genuinely interesting and thought provoking. The tour took about an hour and took us up to the top floor of the building up some slipery stairs!! the atmosphere in the rooms was palpable and you could really imagine how the residents used to live. would highly recommend this little museum.