“Fascinating for history buffs like me”
Review of Tenement Museum

NY Urban Pioneers Private Walking Tour
Ranked #29 of 1,122 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Tenement Museum preserves the history of immigration through the personal accounts of those who built lives in the Lower East Side. Visitors can view restored apartments from the 19th and 20th centuries, walk the historic neighborhood, and interact with residents to learn the stories of generations of immigrants who helped shape the American experience. The museum is available by guided tour only. Each tour focuses on a specific theme and takes visitors to a different area of the building or neighborhood.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The museum is housed in a genuine tenement building that was inhabited until the 1930's or so. It was purchased in the 80's by a woman who wanted to restore it and open it to the public so people could see how immigrants actually lived back in the day. I've been to two of the talks, one about an Irish family and the other about an Italian family. They actually tracked down people who lived in the building as children so they could recount their memories of growing up there. It's really fascinating stuff. My only complaint is that they were not at all accomodating when I went there with about 25 students and we were unavoidably detained by problems with the railroad and subways that were being renovated at the time. We went all the way from Long Island on a miserably rainy day, only to be told that we could only have a 15 minute tour, take it or leave it. I had called from the subway station to tell them we were trying our best to get there as fast as we could. We were not offered any discount for another visit or any other accomodation. Other than that, the museum is a wonderful place to learn about how our ancestors lived when they first came here.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a fantastic experience- if you find the idea interesting to start with. It is basically an hour with a storyteller, who is painting a picture based in fact, with some great props (on our tour, including pictures, artifacts, and period music) on a great stage (ie, the tenement itself). I didn't know what it would be like, or how much stamina we would have, so I booked us in for just one of the tours- and now I want to go back and do all of them! btw, their Gift Shop is streets ahead of most shops of its type- and worth making time for. It's a bit of hike to get to, but worth it.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

we took the garment center tour. Now we work or have worked in that industry so it was fascinating for us but I think everyone would love it.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a look at this museum which you can not just wander around, you must do the guided tour. But it was a facinating insight into the migrant workers of New York and how they lived and worked.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had been to the Ellis Island Immigration museum the day before so seeing the Tenement Museum brought to life the next stage of an immigrant's life in New York City. Judy our guide brought the past to life, telling us the stories of the families who lived in the two apartments we visited in the Hard Times tour. It was a surprise to me to see what a tenement building looked like inside and the conditions that early immigrants lived under. I learned a lot and found it a very worthwhile experience!!

1  Thank Lindo L