“Buy the Express Ticket”

Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
$36.00*
and up
Empire State Building Tickets - Observatory and...
$259.00*
Day Trip from Hartford CT to New York City by Rail
$299.00*
Viator VIP: NYC Night Helicopter Flight and Statue of Liberty Cruise
Ranked #9 of 1,146 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The world-famous Empire State Building offers unobstructed panoramic views of New York City and beyond from 8 a.m. until 2 a.m. daily. Our 86th and 102nd floor Observation Decks offer the two highest vantage points in New York City. Soaring 1,454 feet above Midtown Manhattan from base to antenna, the Empire State Building is the World's Most Famous Office Building. Named America's favorite building in a poll conducted by the American Institute of Architects, the Empire State Building is one of New York City's top tourist destinations. On a clear day, you can see up to five states from our Observation Decks - New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Massachusetts. Guests can enjoy our outdoor viewing area on our open-air 86th floor Observatory, or our indoor climate-controlled viewing areas on the 86th and 102nd floors. We recently launched our new Multimedia Experience as well, which guides visitors through the extraordinary exhibits and breathtaking views with additional depth on the building's history in eight languages - including English, Spanish, French, Italian, Mandarin, Portuguese, Japanese and Korean. The Empire State Building aims to provide entertainment for guests of all ages. Bringing children? Have their picture taken with King Kong himself on our 80th floor from Thursdays through Mondays (12 p.m. until 9 p.m.). Celebrating a first date or an anniversary? Enjoy romantic tunes from our saxophone player from 9 p.m. until midnight every Thursday through Saturday night. Tickets can be purchased through our website. Our celebrated tower lights are often illuminated to commemorate holidays, events and special causes. In the Fall of 2012, we upgraded our tower lighting system from floodlights to one-of-a-kind LED tower lights. The state-of-the-art system allows customized lighting capabilities from a palette of over 16 million colors! To watch some of our recent light shows, visit our YouTube page. Reigning as the world's tallest building from 1931 to 1970, the Empire State Building is known for its distinct Art Deco style. Construction of the renowned icon only took one year and 45 days, and logged more than 7 million man hours. This is the fastest construction to date for a project of its scale. Additionally, from classics like An Affair to Remember and Sleepless in Seattle to recent hits such as Oblivion and Elf, our place in pop culture has been solidified since our early days. In fact, over 200 movies and TV shows have featured the Empire State Building in them!
Reviewed June 24, 2011

It may cost double but worth it's wait in gold. We flew past the normal lines of people waiting to get to the top and saved about two hrs.
First deck is crowded and we preferred Rockerfeller which is far better organised.
Upper deck for which you pay more is a lot quieter and great views of the city.

1  Thank michaelgrainger
Write a ReviewReviews (66,327)

Reviewed June 23, 2011

You can't visit NYC without going up the ESB. Go to the 86th floor observation deck-it's outside. On a sunny summer day, you can walk around the deck and get spectacular views of the city from every direction.

1  Thank IllinoisLglegl
Reviewed June 22, 2011

My girlfriend (now fiancee) and I took a trip to New York City this following weekend. The Empire State Building's observatory deck was one of our absolute favorite things in the city. The only issue was that the lines were rather long (about 45 mins to an hour) but we did go on a Saturday, so we expected it to be a bit longer. We ended up buying the "New York Pass" so we received entry FREE into the NY Skyride (Located in the Empire State Building) and the observatory deck. We received our tickets to the skyride and went into the attraction. After the skyride there was a big sign that said "To Observatory Deck" and we followed the signs. We didn't realize until we were 20 minutes in line that we needed tickets!! I left my girlfriend in line and ran back to where we were SUPPOSED to buy our tickets. I got the tickets and was very thankful for the employees, who I explained my situation to, who let me make it back to my girlfriend in line. There was a very annoying couple from New Jersey standing behind us in line that kept singing the Alycia Keys song "New York" and made fun of every person that came down, but that's not the attraction's fault. After we took the hotel ride to the top of the building to the Observatory Deck, there was a man playing the saxophone. This an awesome thing as we went at midnight and it was very romantic. I requested for the gentleman to play a song and he happily played it for me. As my girlfriend was looking out at the AMAZING view of New York City, I got down on one knee and asked her to marry me. She turned around and said YES!! Everyone around us took pictures and while her favorite song was playing in the background, she became my fiancee. What an amazing time that we will never forget.

I will commend the staff in the gift shop because we were going to buy a large figurine of the Empire State Building as a souvenier. The staff informed me I would NOT be able to take it on a plane with me. I was surprised and very thankful for that information. The only other thing I would say is I wish they had better signage AFTER leaving the skyride that if you have the NYpass, you need to get your tickets first before standing in line. Luckily it worked out for us, but would have been aggravating if it didn't. Make sure you go to the top of the Empire State Building at night!!! All of the lights are mesmerizing!

2  Thank JustinF614
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We were quickly jumped by pushy sales guys on the sidewalk outside, telling us there was a 90 minute wait to get to the top, and if we only spent twice as much, we could skip the lines. We refused and wanted to take our chances inside (where we waited maybe 30 minutes total for all the lines). We were then asked again on the other side of the building if we wanted to buy tickets. We just said no, and continued on.
Once inside, it was fairly easy to go along. We were there on a Sunday around 6pm and there was evidence that the lines get really long but it was okay when we were there. We bought our tickets, waited for an elevator to the 80th floor, got our picture made (it was terribly blurry but we didn't want it anyway so it didn't really matter), got on another elevator to the 86th, and then went out. It was packed outside and you just had to walk around and dive into any holes that opened up. It was nice. I wish I could have been up there at night, too.
Pros: Lots of workers (liked their outfits) to direct, great views!
Cons: crowds, pushy sales guys outside, they make you check even miniature tripods and retrieve them again before you leave

Reviewed June 21, 2011

The visit to the Empire Estate Building is "a must" if you are in NY. Don't forget your camera and an outfit that protects you against wind. We enjoyed the tour provided by the Building itself (there are other alternatives, but they are more expensive), and it was a fine.