“Beautiful Experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 1,068 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World was a gift of friendship from the people of France to the people of the United States and is a universal symbol of freedom and democracy. The Statue of Liberty was dedicated on October 28, 1886, designated as a National Monument in 1924 and restored for her centennial on July 4, 1986.
Denton, Texas
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Beautiful Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We absolutely loved getting to see Lady Liberty. It was closed when we visited (due to Hurricane Sandy damage), so we saw it from a harbor cruise on the Zephyr. I was pleased with how close we were able to get, and we took lots of great pictures. Because we did a harbor cruise, there was a tour guide who was able to explain much of the history and background to the Statue of Liberty. On our cruise (which left from Pier 16), you are able to get up and walk around but I think it is still helpful to know that the right side of the boat was the side facing the statue when we pulled up to you (best pictures). They did turn the boat around so the left side could be by the statue, but at this point, we were farther away and there was another tour boat in the background which didn't make for the best pictures. I think this should be the #1 destination for anyone visiting New York, as there is so much patriotism and history wrapped up in the statue.

Visited June 2013

34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We took the Statue Tour boat ride over to Liberty Island.
It is definitely worth the trip and I would recommend ordering your tickets in advance so that you can have access to the crown or monument level. The boat ride also provides great views of the entire harbor.

1 Thank Rheinjack
Indianapolis
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Lady Liberty Rocks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

The first time I visited was when I was 12 and we were able to go up in the torch. It was a long wait and steep stairway but worth both. Ellis Island was a very active immigration point at that time and it was almost as awesome to see that. Few of my ancestors came through there but the enormity of the number who did is powerful.
I've been back to visit 3 or 4 times since. None equals that first trip, partially because the torch is closed and partially because the chaos of huge crowds detracts my contemplation of how impressive it is. Before the first time, I'd studied it in school: the construction, the gift from France and Emma Lazarus' poem. I was fortunate to have friends from high school on who had entered the U.S. through NYC and their experiences and reactions to the Statue of Liberty heightened my appreciation of it. By whatever means GO.

Visited August 2012
Roscommon, Michigan
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Island Re-opened after Hurricane”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We visited Lady Liberty July 5th. Signage to Battery Park from the South Ferry Subway is very poor. We ended up waiting in the wrong line for probably 20 min - we should have walked to the left instead of right but there was nothing to indicate that. The boat ride was very nice - about 15 minutes each way. However, the boat lines to get back to Battery Park were so long with no shade, so be prepared. It was nice to walk around and see her upclose in all her glory, but if I were to go again, I would seriously consider taking the Staten Island Ferry (does not dock at the island) to save time waiting in lines and money - the SIF is free!

Houston
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Crown Access!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I visited Lady Liberty July 5th, 2013. The day after it reopened to the public. Our visit was seamless! The great thing about NYC is they re very experienced with dealing with the huge crowds everyday. They staff accordingly and give specific and detailed instructions for everything. This was the case with our Liberty Island visit.

I purchased our tickets the day tickets were released to ensure I got my Crown Access tickets. Our tour time was 10AM. 3 days prior to our tour we were given an email notification stating that our tour time was now our security entrance position in line. No problem, luckily, we had nothing else planned afterwards. We arrived in Battery Park to pick up our tickets from will call at around 9:30. Line was not too long, went quickly. Received our tickets and proceeded to the security line. We saw a HUGE line already in place, but I knew that we wouldnt need to stand in it because we have the 10am security time slot. Sure enough, I walked to the front of the line and was able to walk straight through!! Security was FAST, zipped through and was onboard the ferry at 10am!

Once on Liberty Island, it was pretty clear where we needed to go to access the crown. Again, everything was clearly marked. Just follow the signs. We took the elevator and skipped half the stairs. We then continued on and walked the rest f the way up. The stairs are VERY narrow and very steep. One way up and another way down. The platform itself is surprisingly small once you reach the top. Just enough room for maybe 4-5 people to be comfortable. It was an amazing view and we were happy we were able to to this!!

Afterwards, we climbed down and went outside for a cool down and snacks. We stood in line for the ferry to depart the island. I suggest bringing an umbrella in the summer months to sheild the sun. So very hot. We stood in line for about 45 mins. Not bad considering the huge line we were in .

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

5 Thank fancypants2008