“Must do while in New York but check for hours” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 1,068 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World was a gift of friendship from the people of France to the people of the United States and is a universal symbol of freedom and democracy. The Statue of Liberty was dedicated on October 28, 1886, designated as a National Monument in 1924 and restored for her centennial on July 4, 1986.
Kansas City, Missouri
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Must do while in New York but check for hours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

The site is currently closed for renovation but you can purchase a boat our that takes you around the island. It is supposed to reopen sometime this summer.

• Arabic first
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Wonder of all wonders”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

This iconic landmark and its historical background has been featured many times, even in the movies, so when I came to see the actual statue I was really ecstatic and overwhelmed. I didn't get to the top to see the view up there, but it was already enough for me to behold that awesome view. There is not much activity around there, just to view that wonderful monument, eat in an open cafe, take pictures, and stroll around. If you go to New York don't miss the chance to see the statue. Going there in a cruise is already good enough to see the sights and when you are actually there, my, the feeling is a wonder! I actually saw this statue in 2011, and I clicked August, 2012, (no other choices for 2011), but I couldn't help but review it because of my wonderful experience there. I understand it is close to public because of the hurricane damage, and when it will open this year, I hope to be back again!

Visited August 2012
New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Use the Staten Island Ferry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Plenty of information re the statue, so I'd like to recommend the best way to see it. Use the Staten Island Ferry. It is free, no lines, a fantastic view of the Statue as you leave and come back to Manhattan and superlative views of Manhattan as well.
Downside: you can't touch the toe and stand in line to get thee, climb up and leave.

7 Thank nsnandra
Farnborough, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Wonderful!! :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

I have spent the last 10 years wanting to go to New York- the Statue of Liberty didn't disappoint in any way even though you can't go onto the island because of the hurricane damage.
Amazing boat cruise that takes you close enough for some wonderful pictures- would recommended to anyone!!

1 Thank Rebecca K
London, United Kingdom
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 184 helpful votes
“So close and yet so far...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

All my life I have wanted to go to NYC and go up the Statue of Liberty. After finally booking my trip, Hurricane Sandy swept past and ruined my dream. The best I could do was book a boat trip from Battery Park that took me close enough to see it and take photos. The Lady looked great in the sun, and the commentary gave a lot of useful information. I really enjoyed it, but couldn't help feeling a little unfulfilled. The rest of the boat cruise gave opportunities to see the amazing Manhattan skyline, and the iconic Brooklyn Bridge. It is worth doing until Ellis Island opens again on the 4th July. Sigh.....