“Great Hotel”

Ranked #85 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Geneva, Switzerland
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed February 1, 2011

We have spend 5 days in New York and the first time at the Greewich Hotel, The hotel is fantastic, the spa as well, great restaurant and fantastic brunch on Sunday

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds
Reviewed January 27, 2011

This hotel has a real homely feel to it and like other reviewers have commented it really does feel as if you are staying at somebody’s house.

On arrival we were shown to the hotel bar and served some complimentary coffees – actually it’s not a bar it’s far too homely and comfortable to be called a bar. We were seated near the open log fire – what a treat that is when it’s freezing outside.

We were upgraded to a larger room which was like a suite with a large bathroom with walk in rain shower. All drinks and food in the mini-bar were complimentary (apart from alcohol). All the staff were incredibly down to earth and very friendly and helpful especially Jonathan who always had a smile on his face as he greeted you.

We ate at the hotel restaurant which was always packed (a good sign). The restaurant food was very high quality and the service matched the hotel. Sometimes when you’re eating in a very busy restaurant the service can lapse – not the case in the Locande Verde. They also have an interesting selection of Italian wines.

The pool , spa and gym areas are also fantastic. We had the pool to ourselves most of the time and it has a very eastern (Thai) feel to it. The gym is modern and well equipped.

The location (Tribeca) is a quiter area than Soho but there’s still lots of interesting places to eat and drink. We went to the Terrior Tribeca which is an excellent bar / restaurant where you can sample many different wines from around the world.

I could go on … but it’s all good and I have nothing but high praise for this hotel. We stayed 2 nights here and then transferred to the Mercer in Soho (see my review also). The girl on reception told us that the Mercer is good but not as good as the Greenwich. They are different hotels and both excellent in their own way but there’s no doubt that I would return to the Greenwich everytime. Thank you very much Mr De Niro.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
North Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed January 14, 2011

Well, this will be my home away from home from now on when doing business in NYC. If you like attention to detail and being made to feel very special, then you'll like it here also. Business travelers, do yourself a favor and reward and try out the Greenwich instead of the same old same old. I had no wants here, everything I could possibly need was provided perfectly. The staff were universally wonderful and also very attractive. My room was a study in detail, not ostentatious but always left me with a feeling of being taken care of so perfectly. The volume of water the shower put out was sinful! The dux bed was perfect, the Italian linens luxurious, the food was delicious, free non-alcohol drinks and snacks just great. If you are traveling for business and want to feel all warm and happy returning each night to your hotel after a long work day, then do yourself a favor and give the Greenwich a try.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I have now stayed at The Greenwich Hotel twice since it has opened and have had a fantastic experience both times. I have traveled all over the world for both business and pleasure and tend to prefer and intimate hotel experience and this hotel does not disappoint. I always state this as being in my top three favorite hotels in the world thus far. I have stayed in both the smallest room, the Courtyard rooms as well as a larger Superior room. Both of these rooms are large by New York standards and both feel like you are staying at someone's comfortable understand wonderful home. The library lounge and the restaurant are both fantastic as well. The only downside is the price as I would stay there much more often, however it is very worth it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2010

We stayed at the Greenwich for 3 nights at the end of our honeymoon which we had spent in the Caribbean. We had such a great time here and loved the hotel. We spent so much time researching where was best to stay and we were so pleased with our choice. In the end we chose this over the Mercer and are really pleased we did. The Greenwich has loads of charm, the bedrooms are great, the bathrooms amazing. We loved the touches such as a whole box of American goodies in our room each day and champagne we were left on the first night. We only ate at the hotel before we caught our flight on the last day - the food was fantastic and we really wish we had eaten there before. The staff are really friendly and the service is overall very good. There was a bit of noise around our room during the night a couple of times which was annoying but other than that this is such a great place to stay. Good location, great swimming pool and gym etc if you want to use it. Would highly recommend and would definitely go back when next in NYC.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank aikens
UK
Reviewed November 16, 2010

You get what you pay for and whilst the Greenwich isn't cheap you get something other hotels need to aspire to - ultra quiet luxurious rooms with truly excellent service and a touch of class.

So you know our type of hotel, our other NYC visits have included the Soho Grand (nice but moody staff), Tribeca Grand (nice but noisy), 60 Thompson (average) and the Hudson (cool but tiny tiny rooms).

Our stay started with a swift paperless check-in and personal escort to the room. Fast Wi-Fi, snacks (sweets, crisps etc) and all mini-bar soft drinks are included in the rate - a nice touch and takes away the feeling of being ripped off or worried about using the facilities. We were upgraded too - from a superior to a deluxe - not quite sure why :-).

The room itself was 7th floor facing North Moore St. Big comfy bed, soft pillows (harder ones were provided on request), plenty of space, deep bath, big telly, robes and an extra door to keep corridor noise out. I can't emphasise how quiet this hotel was. House keeping were ultra discreet and never seen (in fact we saw them actually hiding at one point!).

A DVD player and movies were available, the pool was breath taking, the breakfast was delicious and room service was excellent with orders arriving within minutes for easy things and on time for larger orders.

Location is great if you like the quiet side of New York. Tribeca is like a different country compared to Time Square etc.

The photo's on the site don't overstate what you get - lovely design and all really comfy and cosy.

The only downsides are (and these are aimed at hotel management really as quite picky)...

- With the room being hard to leave it would be nice to have tea making facilities
- The restaurant temperature was either really cold (to the point of having to wear a coat on two occasions) to really stuffy
- Soft close toilet seats - every hotel needs em!

All round top class and will go again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bodwin
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I accidentally booked a room at both the Ace Hotel and the Greenwich one weekend, and after checking out the Ace I moved immediately to the Greenwich, which is vastly superior to the Ace (if much more expensive). The room I saw at the Ace was dark and cold-feeling, whereas the Greenwich feels like a warm if slightly spartan room in a rich friend's European lodge. I loved the comfy bed, the spaciousness of the room, and the sophisticatedly simple decor. That said, the Greenwich didn't feel entirely ideal to me. The wood finishings in the hallways look too new or something-- they seem to be going for an old lodge feel, but in that case they need to have that heavy wood piney smell, and they don't, so it just feels weird (perhaps this is because I grew up going to old lodges in the mountains that all had a very heavy scent of pine). The hard wooden floors were cool but like the hallway, felt like they needed some age or heft or something, or maybe just some warmer, furry area rugs-- something to warm up the space just a bit.

Things I liked: I loved the shower, very luxe. The pool and steam room were also luxurious. The library room on the first floor was beautiful; I made sure to stop there every evening on the way in to my room. Generally speaking, I slept well and felt warm and coddled by the space, if just slightly less comfortable than I would have felt had they somehow solved the new/hard surfaces problem.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business