“Best hotel in NYC”

Greenwich Hotel
Ranked #85 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Best hotel in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

Absolute delight! The room was spacious, clean, and stocked full of goodies. Nothing was missing. The shower was heavenly, including the beautiful soaps. Won't ever stay anywhere else again when visiting NYC.

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Las Vegas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

Chose Greenwich Hotel based on rave reviews from friends. Unfortunately, my check-in experience marred my impression of the hotel. Although I had a confirmation for my stay, the front desk clerk coldly stated she didn't have my record, then claimed I was a no-show (and charged my cc for a night) for an alleged arrival 2 nights prior. Rather than apologize and try to set things straight, she took a confrontational pose and made me feel that I made a mistake. Long story short: she found me a room (same category I booked), but I never felt welcome my 2 nights there. I had a friend with me who witnessed this exchange, and she was shocked by how it was handled.

Despite this sour start, I did like my room and found the public spaces stunning and well worth a visit. The courtyard patio is a lovely escape. My husband and I noted and enjoyed the special touches like generous candy and room amenities, internet access, the chalk board by the elevators that provided the weather report, the news rack by the elevator, nicely appointed gym, and beautiful plantings. We also liked the range of room choices since many NYC hotels have limited choices for those who prefer larger rooms. The hotel is worth visiting just to see a space that is a new build, but totally of another era.

Back to the bad check-in: I'd say it points to poor front desk training and mastery of customer service. Check-in is what sets the first impression of a hotel! Based on this exchange, I had fear that I'd have a problem (even with my email confirmation of my stay) getting my credit card refunded for the "no-show" stay. Thankfully, the reservation manager had it all taken care of the next morning without incident. We've stayed at the Mercer (a sister property) and found the staff professional and personable, which is not what I'd say about the Greenwich (except for the spa desk attendant and the charming housekeeper), where most of the staff had an air of exasperation and disgust.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GoldenGooseLV
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

A friend had suggested The Greenwich Hotel as a place to stay while we were in NYC celeberating my husband's 60th. Being frequent visitors to the city over the last 20 years and having numerous hotels we both love - I thought I would take a chance and try it out. WELL - I don't want to stay anywhere else anymore!! From the moment we checked in to the moment we left 3 days later there was never one misstep. Even prior to our arrival I had numerous email communications with the General Manager to help me arrange dinner reservations and theatre tickets. Again - perfection. The bed and pillows - heaven. The bathroom - again - heaven. The private coutyard and the bar/lounge were wonderful to relax in. A must to experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SLP_10
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

The best service, food, and beautiful hotel. The lobby, library and courtyard are very well designed, with a rich color palette and interesting furniture. The courtyard is a dream, open to the sky and landscaped with tall bamboo and garden sculptures.
We stayed in room 514, with French doors overlooking the courtyard. The bed was great-gorgeous sheets. The tile work in our bathroom was breathtaking, very nicely appointed. Lots of storage and quite a spacious layout.
The food at Locanda Verde was excellent, the prices fair. The hotel staff were more than accommodating, and made us feel just as welcome as the celebrities who were also staying at that time. We have stayed at The Standard, and the Gansevoort, and this hotel had larger, superior quality rooms, excellent food, and impeccable service.
Cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Glastonbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

Absolutely a wonderful place to stay IF you can afford it...terrific location...nice restaurant attached...great outside area to eat...service was superior...God bless my son for picking up the tab................an absolute, classy place to stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jandchamill
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

My wife and I spent 4 nights here and everything (and I mean everything) was great. The staff was friendly and helpful, the lobby and drawing room are comfortable and inviting and our room/bath was perfect. The designer responsible for the interior did a fantastic job. The furniture, furnishings, flooring materials, art, etc. are an eclectic mix that are unbelievably cool. We have stayed at many of the 4/5 stars in NYC and this will be our new home away from home. I have to say that as a workout fanatic I found the gym to be surprisingly good by hotel standards and never encountered another guest while using it on a daily basis. Even the gym area had gleaming reclaimed wood floors and other unique design touches.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jrweekends
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

We stayed in The Greenwich for 4 nights in March. We had a huge amount of help prior to our trip from the concierge who helped us book cars, restaurant tables etc and gave us great recommendations.
The hotel is just lovely. Luxurious, homely, understated. The staff are amazing- they could give a masterclass in customer service. Spa gorgeous but no time to make use of it as we were so busy enjoying the best city in the world.
Needless to say we need to go back!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple