“My New York Hideaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 475 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“My New York Hideaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I've been reluctant to write a review for the Greenwich for fear that many will flock to it, but I've decided not to be selfish. We ARE all friends here aren't we? The Greenwich is most definitely an indulgence, and one I allow myself after intense periods of work, a special birthday or when I want to "getaway". As a New York residence, I go for the discretion of TriBeCa, the understated tastefulness of the hotel, the deliciousness of Locanda Verde and the bliss and pool of the Shibui Spa. It is perfect. When I am there, it feels like home away from home. From the bath products to welcoming treats, please Greenwich Hotel - don't change a thing!

2 Thank srprince1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights in March. The weather had been freezing and a big snowstorm had hit the city. The hotel was cozy, off-beat, cool and very friendly. The subtle smell of cinnamon lingered in the passages. The total feel was comfortable luxury, from the Red Flower bathroom amenities to the drinks and snacks in the room and the morning wake up service and the soft, fluffy towels - oh! and we stayed in one of the smaller rooms ... The breakfast served in the drawing room was always delicious. The gym is well equipped, the restaurant is still regarded as one of the best by New Yorkers (everytime I mentioned where we were staying, New Yorkers commented on the restaurant) and the 24 hour room service very convenient after a late night. Did I mention the DvF wrap dresses worn as uniforms by female staff? Class all around.

Room Tip: Courtyard facing is quiet if you so prefer.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Elaine C
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed here for 10 nights in Feb. (work and pleasure) and will definitely be back!

Things I absolutely loved:
--The spa: amazing service and ambiance. A variety of packages for surprisingly fair rates. I highly recommend clearing out a day for a massage/pool relaxation session. From the comfortable chairs to the service to the wooden beams to the lantern-lit pool, this place has it together.
The invisible, well-coordinated staff. This is what I look for in any hotel stay, and this hotel hit it on the mark.
--The old-world decor is relaxing and the antithesis of NYC life.
--The italian restaurant is creative and gorgeous... and rivals some of the Wynn properties I frequent in Vegas, but with maybe a better ambiance. I loved both breakfast and dinner. (Steak tartare and scampi and grits stood out). I generally hate dining in Greenwich/tribeca (east village has better quality, IMHO) the staff recommends, but there's a NOBU/NOBU Next Door nearby... then there's Little Italy!
--The drawing room is gorgeous and great for meetings and last-minute work(food from Locunda? is served here)

The only downside of the visit was... nothing. I personally loved the mattress(not often the case); it felt like heaven! The suites versus standard room(I tried both) are similar in decor and have ample space. I would obviously recommend the former but enjoyed both, even with tons of luggage. Request a bathtub if you love to lounge in gorgeous bathtubs while on holiday; if not, you might only get a room with a shower. I loved my corner suite with a view of the river.

Room Tip: Corner suite with a view of the river
3 Thank jjaylad
Omaha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here the weekend before Sandy hit the East Coast. The hotel was wonderful. We used our AMEX Plat. for the FHR deals which was quite nice. Our room was really beautiful and very well styled. Our bathroom was amazing! The only downside was the mattress...not very comfortable truthfully. We loved that the gourmet snacks/non-alcoholic drinks were included in our room rate. We had drinks in the bar and breakfast in the courtyard both were very nice. The Saturday breakfast was a bit different then the weekday service...we had to send back a couple of items and wait a bit longer even though the place was empty. Our last night we were too tired to go out to dinner anywhere far so we ate at the Italian restaurant in the hotel. The service and food were divine. Loved that we could get in on a Saturday night and enjoy a meal. Unfortunately, we had to leave really early on Sunday due to the storm so checkout was a quick hello goodbye with coffee. I would definitely recommend this spot!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank ckayjr
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

As I live in the area, I always wanted to try the spa in the Greenwich Hotel in TriBeCa. On the President day, I finally was able to experience this extraordinary space.

Shibui spa is built on the concept of old Japanese house or, "minka". Carefully placed antique furniture create serene but warm atmosphere. After the check-in, I was taken to the women's locker room where everything was designed with the greatest attention. You have an access to hotel pool when you have a spa appointment. If you have a fortune to swim in this amazing azure pool, you would like to stay there forever. It was a great water - not smell like chlorine like any other hotel pools. I swam and relaxed before my massage and it literally got me in the calm mode.

Then, I was greeted by Michiyo and taken to a lower floor. The massage was great since my whole body was so tense due to the stressful city living and she was very attentive. After the massage, I enjoyed the steam shower in the locker room, also very clean. A great finale for the afternoon really was that a pool attendance offered me a hibiscus tea at the pool side. It was the most delicious tea that I ever had - perfectly brewed - and timing for the tea was perfect!

All and all, I truly enjoyed the experience and will definitely go back. No need to go away on vacation, now I know this place - I can always escape from the City in a quick second....

NOTE: I was suggested to avoid the weekend to get the most out of the spa since the weekend can be really crazy with a lot of people.

3 Thank Starlove N
Wayland, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Greenwich Hotel is a home away from home and a wonderful combination of a Zen atmosphere and chic, edgy hotel. Our corner suite was magnificent with every amenity you would need. It felt like our apartment in NYC with a world class spa within steps. The bath was exquisite and decor was relaxed elegance. We love reclaimed and aged European environments so it was just perfect for us. Of course the fact it is new and immaculate was a favored feature. My husband loved the bed, however I agree with some of the other reviews. The linens were sumptuous, but the bed felt flat and uncomfortable to me despite the Duxiana reputation. I am a bit spoiled with a custom organic beyond comfortable bed at home so perhaps my expectations are high. We are foodies and have been fortunate to experience some of the best restaurants in the world. We had very creative, delicious meals at the hotel restaurant and in the private guest area. We just loved the private gathering room for guests only with the roaring fireplace, candles and AMAZING staff. Everyone was so professional, efficient and offered us a cordial welcome. The spa treatment was the BEST we have ever had, which speaks loudly as I have been to some of the premier spas in the world. Valerie was simply outstanding with her treatments. The pool area was so peaceful...loved it all. We have very high standards and strongly felt that this is one of the best hotels, certainly in NYC. We would only stay here...and love the location and being close to the Village. Kudos to the Front Desk staff, room service and housekeeping team as well for delivering such great service. The one glitch which seems to be a common thought in other reviews, points to the training or experience of the bell staff. The team was very friendly and nice, but our departure was not as we would have preferred.
Greenwich Hotel is SUPERB, relaxed, elegant and warm. The staff should be praised for a job well done.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karen P
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel is one of a kind....having cost me $800 plus for one night (we stayed 4) I would have expected flawless..and indeed this was a .totally flawless experience from the moment of check in..the property and staff are first rate..expect to feel comfortable in a simple room with every lovely touch...Tuscan rough wood... fabulous shower ..TV is not hung on the wall , where it could pretend to be art,..but placed on a table..not at all elegant, but perfect...the bed is the best ever, and I meant to ask where I could buy one if their duvets..I have only slept under them in Europe...
As for staff, they are professional, real, engaging and can make anything happen within 30 seconds...seriously, ANYTHING..love the drawing room and I could go on and on..if you can afford it, STAY HERE.. Have breakfast, eat at the restaurant...you will be in for a treat...(oh, yes, the mini bar Is FREE..for $800 a night!)

Room Tip: I suspect there is no such thing as a BAD Room...you may want one on the patio... We loved the stree...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends