“Great place. You see a different NY”
Review of Greenwich Hotel

Greenwich Hotel
Ranked #83 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Great place. You see a different NY”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Great place, nice settings. Extraordinary rooms and ambiance.
Totally worth it

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Losito

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
grossenseifen
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I made a reservation directly with the hotel for a stay from to April 2011. We arrived on the afternoon of April at the hotel. The first room that was presented was in contrary what I had ordered – instead of a quiet room we received a room to the main street and to the entrance to a 24 hours car garage. We declined this particular room and the next was shown which was to the courtyard. But somebody had put a desk in the room which crossed the bed by 20 cm at the pillow. I did not want to get up at night and be knocked down by the edge of the desk. So we waited for an acceptable room. The whole procedure took about 1 hour of accumulated time. We had left in between to see something else than the hotel entrance and unfriendly staff’s faces.
At about 7.00 p.m. the desk manager gave us a room which was facing the courtyard and was arranged to some satisfaction. It was still far away from a room you would expect for $ 750.00 (!) per night. For compensation (!) we were told that the drinks in the fridge were free – except for alcoholic ones. Then some child-pleasing bubbles and other junk food were highlighted as complimentary. But the highly praised balcony by the manager turned out as faux balcony at daylight, about 5 inches deep.
At the first morning we realized that the linen had a hole and looked a bit tired.
On the next and final morning we found exact that hole again plus a lot of other holes in the linen. This was what you would expect in a waste bin.
Now we knew that the linen was not changed at least 2 nights – how long might it have been on the bed before we came? - even for $ 750.00 a night.
By checking out we claimed all these items and wanted an explanation which we did not received nor any way of “sorry for that”, but lots of excuses.
This experience with a hotel claimed by some critics as best of New York is a shame. Your organization should check the quality standard and the service. It is miles away from the level of a being accepted as member of the “L HW”.

Sincerely

Dr. Georg Gebhard

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank georg g
TheGreenwich, General Manager at Greenwich Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear Dr Gebhard
Thank you for your comments and I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay - as a gesture of goodwill we would certainly love you to come back as our guest and we will be happy to provide you with a complimentary room for one night. We are very proud of our hotel and are delighted that the vast majority of people are very comfortable, as can be seen by other comments. We would very much appreciate the opportunity to show you that side of The Greenwich.
I have to be honest and say that your comments are a bit of a mystery. You made your reservation on the same day, through the internet and there were no special requests added to it. The room allocated was on the sixth florr, had a very open and bright view, with the Hudson River in the background and is, infact, very quiet. As you did not spend any time in the room it is hard to make a judgement. I am happy, however, that we were eventually able to find a room on the courtyard side of the building. Sadly in a city like New York street views are the majority but Tribeca is a very peaceful area.
Equally, I am sorry that the snacks in the mini bar were not to your liking - all the non-alcohlic beverages, including water, juices and sodas, together with all the snacks, are complimentary.
It is obviously not possible to satisfy everyone but we do know that the vast majority of our guests apprefiate this gesture.
Following your departure a careful check was made for the holes you referred to in the linens, which we do change everyday, but I regret to say that we did not find any.
I fully accept that you did not enjoy your visit and for that I am extremely sorry. I very mcuh hope that you will give us the opportunity to make amends.
With Kind regards
Philip Truelove
GENERAL MANAGER
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Very warm and comfortable hotel in Tribeca.

Not noisy and full of "Party-ers" like some other downtown hotels.

Locanda Verde is a top 10 restaurant in all of NYC.

Rooms are a little small, but nicely furnished.

Library in Lobby Level is a great place to have a coffee or drink (or a small business chat)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Slipless71
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Greenwich Hotel for a week in June.We searched through trip advisor for somewhere to stay in the Greenwich, Tribecca area and were very pleased we managed to get a room here. This hotel doesn't look much from the outside (you could actually miss it ) but inside it has the luxury of a home away from home.
The rooms are very spacious, modern with a homely feel and have everything you need for a relaxing stay. The huge bed was really comfortable, the bath was amazingly deep and filled in a really short time. As others have said the free mini bar(excluding alcohol)and the lovely snacks were a great treat at the end of a full on day exploring New York.
What we really loved about this place was it's position. Close to the Hudson river where we could go walking in the morning,surrounded by some of the best Restaurants in NY and close to the subway but far enough away from the hustle and bustle to relax in the evening.
The outdoor garden was lovely. A great place for a glass of wine in the evening or breakfast in the morning. Also the guest lounge was very inviting with its huge overstuffed couches and comfy chairs and the fire place gave it just the right touch of ambiance.The restaurant down stairs was delicious but not cheap.
I would recommend this place to anyone wanting a great NY experience and the chance to catch a celebrity or two.(we did).We will definitely return if we make another trip to NY.
The staff were friendly and helpful and although we didn't use the pool it looked inviting.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PAB3
Boulder, CO
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I'm a frequent business traveler. New York is always hard because rooms are typically small, and the prices are high. While I certainly had to pay a lot for my room (a couple of steps up from the bottom tier pricing), the decore was gorgeous, everything was clean and new.

I've spent some time at the hip Ace hotel and will never go back there now that I've found the Greenwich. It's a true class act without a bunch of loud 20-somethings running around.

Hard to beat the nicely portioned free mini-bar.

Courtyard for breakfast and evening drinks with colleagues was great.

Checkin/out is no fuss; very simple and quick. Professional staff all the way around.

My only complaint would be that, as an early riser, I was generally the first patron to arrive for breakfast and they weren't fully prepared and I felt like I causing everything to get going which wasn't ideal.

I'll absolutely be back! Great location (just blocks away from the Hudson River greenway thing where you can go running. I'll likely bring family with me (spouse and 2 kids) as there's an amazing playground thing on said greenway.

Oh yea, the sub-terrainean pool is ultra cool.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank jvaleski
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at The Greenwich for my Birthday recently & had an amazing stay! The hotel is located in Tribeca, a lovely, calm neighborhood in NYC, set on a cobblestoned st. I arrived early around 11am, & my room was ready. I had never stayed at the hotel before, & while the Front Desk Agent who checked me in was nice, I wasn't given an info. on the hotel, etc. I'm quite familiar w/ the property, so this wasn't necessary for me, but just something to mention. To access the elevator, you must use your key, which I wasn't aware of until I figured this out (this is something that should have been mentioned...again, just a note) My room (#503) was on the 5th fl. & incredibly quiet, lovely & super in terms of design, colors, etc. I loved my room! The pale yellow walls, clean hard wood floors, amazing Duxiana bed, soft sheets, & amazing bathroom done in beautiful Orange & White tiles were all great! The mini-bar was extremely well-stocked & all items were complimentary, with the exception of the wine & liquor. Everything was provided from Mexican Coca Cola, Fiji Water, Pineapple Juice, Ginger Ale, to a lovely basket of snacks, including Kettle Chips, Cookies, Nuts, Swedish Fish, etc....I thoroughly enjoyed the mini-bar & it was so nice to have it all included! nice touch guys!

The Desk area was spacious with outlets, & nice bookshelves w/ a cool selection of books, objects, & a little jar of candy! so nice! The Flat screen T.V. had clear reception, the sitting area had a comfy sofa, the windows opened which was great, the A/C made the room incredibly cold, which I love, & the closet was spacious, with a safe, slippers, padded hangers, etc. The bathroom had an absolutely amazing waterfall Rain Shower that was truly the best I've had in a hotel!!! I never wanted to get out.....the deep-soaking tub was also pure bliss! The Red Flower products have a lovely masculine scent & I also loved the soap. The towels were super great, the Frette robes were cool for the Summer & the light fixtures above the sink were amazing! The WC is in a seperate alcove which is nice. The pressure in the shower & tub were 100% flawless!

I just loved the overall feeling of my room....light, airy, cool & beautifully unique in terms of design & colors! The rug was also great....so many unique, special touches in the room! I was celebrating my birthday, so the hotel sent a lovely card w/ Champagne(which I don't drink, so they sent a cupcake-thanks alot!) A welcome note from the hotel w/ 2 Oatmeal Sandwich cookies were awesome!!! The lobby & drawing room w/ outdoor courtyard were great & my meals from Room service were amazing! great food & arrived very quick.

Everything was absolutely perfect during my stay! All bellmen were very nice & charming, Matt at the front desk granted me a late 1:30pm check-out that was much appreciated & Lauren & Jonathan were very nice, as well at the Front Desk. I loved the hotel & will def. be back soon!

Best,
Patrick
NYC

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank patrickwNewYork_NY
Brisbane, California
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Walking into the Greenwich is amazing. From the outside you wouldn't even look twice but similar to many things in NYC the true beauty is going inside and exploring. There is an amazing pool (the only complaint could be that it would be great if it were heated) - and steam room. All of the common areas oozing old Hollywood charm. Considering that Robert De Niro owns the hotel this doesn't come as a massive shock - his taste is classy and inviting. The service was impeccable, the room was amazing and the whole place was complete luxury. We saw many movie stars there including Ted Danson and Cameron Diaz. Perfect place to celebrity watch.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!