“Amazing hotel in New York”
Review of Greenwich Hotel

Greenwich Hotel
Ranked #113 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Amazing hotel in New York”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Greenwich Hotel for a week in June.We searched through trip advisor for somewhere to stay in the Greenwich, Tribecca area and were very pleased we managed to get a room here. This hotel doesn't look much from the outside (you could actually miss it ) but inside it has the luxury of a home away from home.
The rooms are very spacious, modern with a homely feel and have everything you need for a relaxing stay. The huge bed was really comfortable, the bath was amazingly deep and filled in a really short time. As others have said the free mini bar(excluding alcohol)and the lovely snacks were a great treat at the end of a full on day exploring New York.
What we really loved about this place was it's position. Close to the Hudson river where we could go walking in the morning,surrounded by some of the best Restaurants in NY and close to the subway but far enough away from the hustle and bustle to relax in the evening.
The outdoor garden was lovely. A great place for a glass of wine in the evening or breakfast in the morning. Also the guest lounge was very inviting with its huge overstuffed couches and comfy chairs and the fire place gave it just the right touch of ambiance.The restaurant down stairs was delicious but not cheap.
I would recommend this place to anyone wanting a great NY experience and the chance to catch a celebrity or two.(we did).We will definitely return if we make another trip to NY.
The staff were friendly and helpful and although we didn't use the pool it looked inviting.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PAB3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boulder, CO
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I'm a frequent business traveler. New York is always hard because rooms are typically small, and the prices are high. While I certainly had to pay a lot for my room (a couple of steps up from the bottom tier pricing), the decore was gorgeous, everything was clean and new.

I've spent some time at the hip Ace hotel and will never go back there now that I've found the Greenwich. It's a true class act without a bunch of loud 20-somethings running around.

Hard to beat the nicely portioned free mini-bar.

Courtyard for breakfast and evening drinks with colleagues was great.

Checkin/out is no fuss; very simple and quick. Professional staff all the way around.

My only complaint would be that, as an early riser, I was generally the first patron to arrive for breakfast and they weren't fully prepared and I felt like I causing everything to get going which wasn't ideal.

I'll absolutely be back! Great location (just blocks away from the Hudson River greenway thing where you can go running. I'll likely bring family with me (spouse and 2 kids) as there's an amazing playground thing on said greenway.

Oh yea, the sub-terrainean pool is ultra cool.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank jvaleski
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at The Greenwich for my Birthday recently & had an amazing stay! The hotel is located in Tribeca, a lovely, calm neighborhood in NYC, set on a cobblestoned st. I arrived early around 11am, & my room was ready. I had never stayed at the hotel before, & while the Front Desk Agent who checked me in was nice, I wasn't given an info. on the hotel, etc. I'm quite familiar w/ the property, so this wasn't necessary for me, but just something to mention. To access the elevator, you must use your key, which I wasn't aware of until I figured this out (this is something that should have been mentioned...again, just a note) My room (#503) was on the 5th fl. & incredibly quiet, lovely & super in terms of design, colors, etc. I loved my room! The pale yellow walls, clean hard wood floors, amazing Duxiana bed, soft sheets, & amazing bathroom done in beautiful Orange & White tiles were all great! The mini-bar was extremely well-stocked & all items were complimentary, with the exception of the wine & liquor. Everything was provided from Mexican Coca Cola, Fiji Water, Pineapple Juice, Ginger Ale, to a lovely basket of snacks, including Kettle Chips, Cookies, Nuts, Swedish Fish, etc....I thoroughly enjoyed the mini-bar & it was so nice to have it all included! nice touch guys!

The Desk area was spacious with outlets, & nice bookshelves w/ a cool selection of books, objects, & a little jar of candy! so nice! The Flat screen T.V. had clear reception, the sitting area had a comfy sofa, the windows opened which was great, the A/C made the room incredibly cold, which I love, & the closet was spacious, with a safe, slippers, padded hangers, etc. The bathroom had an absolutely amazing waterfall Rain Shower that was truly the best I've had in a hotel!!! I never wanted to get out.....the deep-soaking tub was also pure bliss! The Red Flower products have a lovely masculine scent & I also loved the soap. The towels were super great, the Frette robes were cool for the Summer & the light fixtures above the sink were amazing! The WC is in a seperate alcove which is nice. The pressure in the shower & tub were 100% flawless!

I just loved the overall feeling of my room....light, airy, cool & beautifully unique in terms of design & colors! The rug was also great....so many unique, special touches in the room! I was celebrating my birthday, so the hotel sent a lovely card w/ Champagne(which I don't drink, so they sent a cupcake-thanks alot!) A welcome note from the hotel w/ 2 Oatmeal Sandwich cookies were awesome!!! The lobby & drawing room w/ outdoor courtyard were great & my meals from Room service were amazing! great food & arrived very quick.

Everything was absolutely perfect during my stay! All bellmen were very nice & charming, Matt at the front desk granted me a late 1:30pm check-out that was much appreciated & Lauren & Jonathan were very nice, as well at the Front Desk. I loved the hotel & will def. be back soon!

Best,
Patrick
NYC

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank patrickwNewYork_NY
Brisbane, California
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Walking into the Greenwich is amazing. From the outside you wouldn't even look twice but similar to many things in NYC the true beauty is going inside and exploring. There is an amazing pool (the only complaint could be that it would be great if it were heated) - and steam room. All of the common areas oozing old Hollywood charm. Considering that Robert De Niro owns the hotel this doesn't come as a massive shock - his taste is classy and inviting. The service was impeccable, the room was amazing and the whole place was complete luxury. We saw many movie stars there including Ted Danson and Cameron Diaz. Perfect place to celebrity watch.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Louisville
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We thought this was a very nice and friendly establishment. There is a beautiful, brick courtyard with all sorts cool plants in different containers right off the main lobby. I had lunch out there from the Italian restaurant next door, and it was delicious. Later in the evening, my husband and I sat in the courtyard and had a cocktail while he smoked a cigar. The rooms are all different. The first room they gave us looked out onto Greenwich Street, and since I didn't care for the view, I asked to see another. They were happy to oblige, and showed me another room (which was an upgrade) that looked onto Franklin St, and I choose that room. Some of the rooms have soaking tubs, while others only have a shower, which was the case in this room. However, the shower was awesome, with cool, Moroccan tile and a large "railhead" shower head. The floors are all wooden, the hallways are darkened, it's very quiet and wonderfully decorated. I was told most of the paintings in the lobby were painted by Robert De Niro's father. The hotel used to be a parking lot, and it took 4 years to complete, with over 20 styles of brick used in the construction of the hotel.
Tip: because we used our AMEX platinum card to book our reservation (July '11), Greenwich gave us an automatic room upgrade, $25 per person voucher for breakfast, and a $100 voucher for a spa service.
I booked a spa service for the following morning, which I enjoyed very much. The spa is in the lowest level and has a nice gym, also. There are unisex bathrooms/locker rooms each with steam rooms and showers. You walk through here to get to the pool area, which is beautiful. The water was a tad murky, and I know they were working on the water issue as I saw a maintenance man talking to the pool attendant. I would have given the pool 5 stars if not for the murky water.
The people who work here were all super friendly. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mbbeard
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed here when we attended a premiere at The Zeigfield Theatre.We enjoyed all the details that made this hotel seem like a home away from home.We loved the lounges that seemed like a living room and they are only available to the people who stay in the hotel.The restaurant Locandii Verdi was great.We had dinner and breakfast there.The staff at the coffee shop was very accommodating with every request.It was a lovely unique boutique hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank fancythis72
Paris, France
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed in the Greenwich hotel to celebrate my husbands birthday. We really loved the great service of all the staff. The spa was wonderful and we went for a swim every evening after walking all day around the city.
The rooms were very big and comfortable. We definetely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple