“Fantastic food! A bit cramped though..”
Review of maison - CLOSED

maison
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: West 53rd Street & 7th Avenue
New York City, New York
“Fantastic food! A bit cramped though..”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I had a groupon for Maison so decided to check it out on a Saturday night. When we arrived the place was packed but we had a reservation so we were seated right away. There is limited space but we are used to this in NYC. It only became a problem with the servers not having room to safely move around. We ordered glasses of wine that were spilled due to no room for the servers to weave in and out of the tables. I ordered the goat cheese tart for appetizer and he ordered the escargots. While we were waiting once again due to space our server was cleaning off a table and was knocked by someone else snd dropped a bunch of plates right behind my husband if it had been any closer they would have landed on him! Our appetizers arrived and they were amazing. The goat cheese tart was creamy and absolutely delicious. The escargots were are out of this world! I ordered the hanger steak for an entree it was cooked to perfection. The jus was really really fantastic! My husband had the mussels and frites the mussels unlike other places were meaty and huge. We decided to indulge in a dessert so we ordered a creme brûlée to share. It was really good. I have had a lot of bad creme brûlée while dining out around the city but this was fantastic! We will return but maybe not on a busy Saturday night!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank jo_b78

New Jersey
“Wonderful corner bistro with great food!”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of food that was served at this restaurant. The menu is not large, with a concentration on their variety of mussel dishes. Warm bread was served with the meal. We tried the raclette and the Mediterranean sampler plate as appetizers-highly recommended! Of course we tried the mussels which was plentiful and served with tasty french fries. We had no room for dessert but will certainly go back without a problem!

• Visited December 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Cozy and Intimate”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Great food in a great location. Small but nice. The food was awesome with the exception of the shrimp which were so salty I couldn't eat them. Our waitress was not as attentive as she should have been. Fun place!

Visited November 2012
Fort Lauderdale
“Nice, but not great”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I were here for lunch. It is right across the street from the Sheraton New York and in nice weather has a rather large outside seating area. The food and service was good, but not great. The tables are small and very close together. On the other hand spending $42.36 (including tax and tip) in New York for a good lunch with good service is not a bad deal.

• Visited November 2012
Rocky River
“Location great, service good, but small portions”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We went here on a Saturday for brunch using a Groupon and having a reservation. We got seated and waited on immediately. Our waiter was attentive with good suggestions of menu items. We had crepes and corn beef hash. Both were good but the portions are small so I left still a little hungry. When you think of brunch, you think of an array of foods. At this restaurant, you were given the choice of one menu item plus an unlimited amount of mimosas or beer. The cost of dessert and coffee were additional charges.

We had bottomless mimosas which were generously served and good. The desserts were excellent but prices are quite high as I feel you're paying for the location. Without the Groupon, this would have been too expensive for the portions. With the Groupon, you still paid a lot for every additional item. While I'm glad I experienced this place, I am not sure I would return again.

When we received our bill, they had totaled the bill adding in the $30 Groupon cost but also showing the cost for each item ordered. This greatly inflated the cost of the tip. While I know that you should tip on the original cost, it seemed things were being double charged.

• Visited November 2012