“Less than spectacular” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #275 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Lindenhurst, Illinois
“Less than spectacular”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

Starting off positive. Most of the staff was friendly and the price was reasonable for NYC. The conceirge folks were utterly useless and not friendly.

This hotel lobby was under reconstruction with dust flying everywhere. It hurt my eyes just to check-in. The staff tried to make the best of the situation with Magnolia cupcakes and a 20% off discount for a future stay.

The small rooms did not feel very clean and were not vacuumed often enough. We got some crumbs from our cupcakes on the floor that were there after the cleaning staff was in the room a day later.

I was here on business and was not able to use wireless internet! The speedtest on their server was dismal and even though I talked with their technical staff it did not seem that any improvements could be made in the short term. I had to walk to the end of the block to work at the very busy Starbucks. I actually moved to multiple rooms to see if I could get internet better on the front side of the building. It only slightly improved.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wyndham-Chelsea, Manager at Hotel Henri, A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
We appreciate your constructive feedback following your stay at The Wyndham Garden Chelsea. We regret to hear that your recent stay did not meet your expectations and it sounds as if it fell below ours as well. Please accept our apologies that you experienced debris from our lobby renovation. We are making all efforts to minimize the impact on our guests.

In addition we must apologize that you experience difficulty with our wireless internet. I have escalated the issue to our technical team for further diagnostics. Furthermore we have shared your comments with our housekeeping team as room cleanliness is one of our utmost priorities.

Thank you again for sharing your comments and we hope you will give us a second opportunity to provide you with the service you deserve. Please feel free to contact me directly at cyee@wyndham.com so that I may ensure your satisfaction during your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

I had a pleasant stay here. It's a convenient location on 24th St, between 5th and 6th Avenues: several subway lines are within a 10 minute walk in either direction, so it's easy to get anywhere in NYC from here. Of course, there are many restaurants in the neighborhood as well as one in the hotel.
The hotel is a narrow, newer building sandwiched between two older structures. Space being at a premium in Manhattan, everything is very compact here: from the small lobby to the rooms. There were only 8 rooms on my floor, and the room was small--basically dominated by the very comfortable king-sized bed. Although there was no closet, there was a small armoire, along with a chair and small desk. The room was clean, attractively decorated in shades of beige and brown, and in good repair. Minor defects included an area of chipped tile in the bathroom and some scuffs on the walls. There was no bathtub, but a tiled shower stall in the corner of the bath. The hall on my floor was always uncomfortably warm, but the air conditioning in the room worked well.
Everyone I encountered among the staff was friendly. I was warmly greeted upon arrival and each time I passed the reception desk coming or going. I also had positive encounters with a few members of the housekeeping staff. Although I did not need the services of a concierge, there was one available during the daytime hours...a nice service for a small, modestly priced hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank HalleBros
We are thrilled to read your glowing review of the Wyndham Garden Chelsea and appreciate all of your kind feedback. Thank you for choosing to spend your trip with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon!
Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights & were very happy. The rooms were spotless (& NO sign of bedbugs!) & the area convenient for exploring the city. The staff were without exception smiling, polite & helpful; we would single out for special mention Angie the concierge who was always happy to answer questions & do all she could for us, including checking in online for our journey home. A great place to stay in NYC.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience at The Wyndham Garden Chelsea on TripAdvisor. I have shared your positive comments with our concierge, Angie. We are glad you had a great stay and hope you will return soon!
Long Island City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

We booked this through Priceline, and when we arrived, we had to pay $40 to "upgrade" to 2 double beds. We ended up paying the going rate - no discount/benfit for using Priceline!
The room was tiny (barely enough room to walk around the beds), and depressing (no pictures/decor). There was a flatscreen t.v. hung on a bare wall at the base of the two beds (no room for a dresser/table). The bathroom appeared to not have been cleaned - private hairs in the shower, on the floor and toilet! DISGUSTING! By the time we discovered this it was nearly 11pm. We just got in bed and prayed we wouldn'lt end up with bed bugs! Checked out first thing in the morning and informed the front desk. Said they'd let the manager know.
NEVER AGAIN will I use Priceline for fear of ending up with this hotel again!

Th

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank clmacaluso
We appreciate hearing about your recent experience at The Wyndham Chelsea. Due to the nature of Priceline reservations we unfortunately do not receive advanced notice of room preference but we do appreciate the business that we receive through this distribution channel and do try to treat all guests with equal respect regardless of where they book. Because many other channels do have room guarantee requirements those guests may receive priority with their room preference but that does not excuse our the cleanliness issues you experienced. Please accept our apologies that the situation was not handled more effectively and we hope you would consider returning in the future.
Montreal, Quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for four nights in total. Check in was very fast. Due to other reviews citing bed bugs, I did my due diligence and did a complete check of the bed. I realised that the pillow cases had not been changed. I called down to the main desk and within 10 minutes had 4 clean, ironed pillow cases delivered to my door. Apart from that the room was clean and our stay was without any other issues.
The hotel is located between 5th and 6th Avenues. It is very convenient for walking and a subway station is 5minutes away. Across the street is a great Thai resturant that just reopened.
I would go back to this hotel because of its location. The street is relatively quiet and you are not surrounded by a constant overload of touristy stuff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank midnightrose
Carlton Y, General Manager at Hotel Henri, A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for your glowing review of the Wyndham Garden Chelsea. Our service team strives for excellence as guest satisfaction is our priority. I am glad to hear you found our amenities and location to your liking. I do look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us.

Carlton Yee
wyndhamnyc.com
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

The room was clean! Excellent location (close to subway, Madison Square Park, Chelsea Market, the Highline Park). Everyone on the staff was friendly and more than helpful. Accommodations were sufficient for the price of the hotel. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank skleib
We are delighted to hear that you had a great stay at The Wyndham Garden Chelsea. Many thanks for leaving your complimentary review on TripAdvisor and we hope to welcome you back again soon!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed at the Wyndham on Independence Day weekend. The hotel was nicely decorated and the rooms were a good size for New York, however, there were things that seriously lacked at this hotel that would prevent us from ever returning.
Front Desk: Most of the staff was nice and friendly always saying hi when you walked by the desk. They left a message on the day we checked in to make sure everything was okay. One staff member in particular needs to be retrained as her attitude left a lot to be desired. We had left our souvenir shopping until our last day there and forgot that the banks would be closed for the holiday Monday. I wasn’t too concerned because I figured I would just exchange my money at the front desk- wrong. This is the first hotel I have ever heard of that does not exchange money, even motels and hotels outside of major destination cities exchange major currencies for their guests and we were right in the city. The front desk agent said that they don’t do that and that we had to go to a bank but all the banks were closed and left it at that. The concierge tried to call the money exchange booth in Times Square for us to see if they were open at least which was nice. Thankfully the booth was open so we weren’t stuck.
Concierge: They were nice and provided some decent information during our trip; they even called on our last day to see if we needed transportation back to the airport the following day. Don’t get me wrong, that was a nice thing to do and would be helpful if we had never been to New York before but we had so we were weighing out the best option before we made a decision. The shuttle company charges $22 per person with one piece of luggage and $3 for each extra piece. The company tells you that the cabs don’t charge a flat rate to take you to the airport which we knew was wrong, partly because we had been there before and that was how we got back to the airport last time and because there was a cab sitting right out front with the flat rate clearly displayed on the door! I was told this both by email and in person from the company. They just want you to use their services. The shuttle from the hotel is comparably priced with the cabs and private cars of other companies in the city but it was a shuttle so we would have been riding with other people back to the airport. To hire a private car from their company would have cost $79!! That’s almost double from the cabs and other companies who charge from around $45-$49 per trip plus tolls and tip to JFK.
The room: The room was nicely decorated and had a desk to work from and use their free wireless. I liked having extra pillows on the bed. The bathroom was a good size; however we missed having a tub to wash our feet in when needed. The shower curtain needed to be an inch longer in order to avoid water all over the floor. Our room didn’t have a dresser but there was a large window ledge to put folded clothes on. The Bath and Body Works bath products were a nice touch. Housekeeping, however, was seriously lacking during our stay. The bed was made and towels were replenished everyday but that was pretty much all they did. Shampoo and conditioner were not replenished once during our stay, our garbage was not emptied, and the carpet was not vacuumed before or during our stay.
We wished there would have been more dining options closer to the hotel; we were spoiled with that during our last stay. Room service closes at 10:30 and the Thai restaurant across the street seems to close at around the same time so we had to walk around to find something to eat after a long day of sightseeing. Not a huge deal but a little inconvenient when you are tired and have sore feet.
All in all it wasn’t a bad stay, we had the amenities we needed and the location was great for the most part. If it wasn’t for the setbacks, it would have been a pretty good stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wyndham-Chelsea, Manager at Hotel Henri, A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Wyndham Garden Hotel Chelsea. It is only with feedback from our valued guests that we can continue to strive to improve our services and accomodation. It is our mission to ensure that we satisfy all our guests and I apologize that your stay was not up to the level that you deserve and expect from staying at the Wyndham Hotel Chelsea.

Accoding to the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission, the following rates apply for travel to and from the major airports -

Newark International Airport
- The set fare from New York City to Newark International Airport is the regular metered rate of fare, plus a $15.00 surcharge, plus all tolls going to and returning from the airport.

John F. Kennedy International Airport
- The TLC has established a "Flat Fare" program for trips to and from JFK and Manhattan. The flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls. There is no set fare to or from JFK to any point in New York City outside of Manhattan, and the metered rate applies.

LaGuardia International Airport
- There is no set fare for trips to and from LaGuardia International Airport. The regular metered rate of fare, as is displayed below, applies in all cases.

We appreciate your insight and I would like to discuss your experience further with you. At your convenience, I can be reached at 212-243-0800 or via e-mail at cyee@wyndham.com. I do look forward to hearing from you.