“Great little hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #275 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Great little hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights & were very happy. The rooms were spotless (& NO sign of bedbugs!) & the area convenient for exploring the city. The staff were without exception smiling, polite & helpful; we would single out for special mention Angie the concierge who was always happy to answer questions & do all she could for us, including checking in online for our journey home. A great place to stay in NYC.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wyndham-Chelsea, Manager at Hotel Henri, A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience at The Wyndham Garden Chelsea on TripAdvisor. I have shared your positive comments with our concierge, Angie. We are glad you had a great stay and hope you will return soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Long Island City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

We booked this through Priceline, and when we arrived, we had to pay $40 to "upgrade" to 2 double beds. We ended up paying the going rate - no discount/benfit for using Priceline!
The room was tiny (barely enough room to walk around the beds), and depressing (no pictures/decor). There was a flatscreen t.v. hung on a bare wall at the base of the two beds (no room for a dresser/table). The bathroom appeared to not have been cleaned - private hairs in the shower, on the floor and toilet! DISGUSTING! By the time we discovered this it was nearly 11pm. We just got in bed and prayed we wouldn'lt end up with bed bugs! Checked out first thing in the morning and informed the front desk. Said they'd let the manager know.
NEVER AGAIN will I use Priceline for fear of ending up with this hotel again!

Th

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank clmacaluso
We appreciate hearing about your recent experience at The Wyndham Chelsea. Due to the nature of Priceline reservations we unfortunately do not receive advanced notice of room preference but we do appreciate the business that we receive through this distribution channel and do try to treat all guests with equal respect regardless of where they book. Because many other channels do have room guarantee requirements those guests may receive priority with their room preference but that does not excuse our the cleanliness issues you experienced. Please accept our apologies that the situation was not handled more effectively and we hope you would consider returning in the future.
Montreal, Quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for four nights in total. Check in was very fast. Due to other reviews citing bed bugs, I did my due diligence and did a complete check of the bed. I realised that the pillow cases had not been changed. I called down to the main desk and within 10 minutes had 4 clean, ironed pillow cases delivered to my door. Apart from that the room was clean and our stay was without any other issues.
The hotel is located between 5th and 6th Avenues. It is very convenient for walking and a subway station is 5minutes away. Across the street is a great Thai resturant that just reopened.
I would go back to this hotel because of its location. The street is relatively quiet and you are not surrounded by a constant overload of touristy stuff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank midnightrose
Carlton Y, General Manager at Hotel Henri, A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for your glowing review of the Wyndham Garden Chelsea. Our service team strives for excellence as guest satisfaction is our priority. I am glad to hear you found our amenities and location to your liking. I do look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us.

Carlton Yee
wyndhamnyc.com
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

The room was clean! Excellent location (close to subway, Madison Square Park, Chelsea Market, the Highline Park). Everyone on the staff was friendly and more than helpful. Accommodations were sufficient for the price of the hotel. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank skleib
We are delighted to hear that you had a great stay at The Wyndham Garden Chelsea. Many thanks for leaving your complimentary review on TripAdvisor and we hope to welcome you back again soon!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed at the Wyndham on Independence Day weekend. The hotel was nicely decorated and the rooms were a good size for New York, however, there were things that seriously lacked at this hotel that would prevent us from ever returning.
Front Desk: Most of the staff was nice and friendly always saying hi when you walked by the desk. They left a message on the day we checked in to make sure everything was okay. One staff member in particular needs to be retrained as her attitude left a lot to be desired. We had left our souvenir shopping until our last day there and forgot that the banks would be closed for the holiday Monday. I wasn’t too concerned because I figured I would just exchange my money at the front desk- wrong. This is the first hotel I have ever heard of that does not exchange money, even motels and hotels outside of major destination cities exchange major currencies for their guests and we were right in the city. The front desk agent said that they don’t do that and that we had to go to a bank but all the banks were closed and left it at that. The concierge tried to call the money exchange booth in Times Square for us to see if they were open at least which was nice. Thankfully the booth was open so we weren’t stuck.
Concierge: They were nice and provided some decent information during our trip; they even called on our last day to see if we needed transportation back to the airport the following day. Don’t get me wrong, that was a nice thing to do and would be helpful if we had never been to New York before but we had so we were weighing out the best option before we made a decision. The shuttle company charges $22 per person with one piece of luggage and $3 for each extra piece. The company tells you that the cabs don’t charge a flat rate to take you to the airport which we knew was wrong, partly because we had been there before and that was how we got back to the airport last time and because there was a cab sitting right out front with the flat rate clearly displayed on the door! I was told this both by email and in person from the company. They just want you to use their services. The shuttle from the hotel is comparably priced with the cabs and private cars of other companies in the city but it was a shuttle so we would have been riding with other people back to the airport. To hire a private car from their company would have cost $79!! That’s almost double from the cabs and other companies who charge from around $45-$49 per trip plus tolls and tip to JFK.
The room: The room was nicely decorated and had a desk to work from and use their free wireless. I liked having extra pillows on the bed. The bathroom was a good size; however we missed having a tub to wash our feet in when needed. The shower curtain needed to be an inch longer in order to avoid water all over the floor. Our room didn’t have a dresser but there was a large window ledge to put folded clothes on. The Bath and Body Works bath products were a nice touch. Housekeeping, however, was seriously lacking during our stay. The bed was made and towels were replenished everyday but that was pretty much all they did. Shampoo and conditioner were not replenished once during our stay, our garbage was not emptied, and the carpet was not vacuumed before or during our stay.
We wished there would have been more dining options closer to the hotel; we were spoiled with that during our last stay. Room service closes at 10:30 and the Thai restaurant across the street seems to close at around the same time so we had to walk around to find something to eat after a long day of sightseeing. Not a huge deal but a little inconvenient when you are tired and have sore feet.
All in all it wasn’t a bad stay, we had the amenities we needed and the location was great for the most part. If it wasn’t for the setbacks, it would have been a pretty good stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wyndham-Chelsea, Manager at Hotel Henri, A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Wyndham Garden Hotel Chelsea. It is only with feedback from our valued guests that we can continue to strive to improve our services and accomodation. It is our mission to ensure that we satisfy all our guests and I apologize that your stay was not up to the level that you deserve and expect from staying at the Wyndham Hotel Chelsea.

Accoding to the NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission, the following rates apply for travel to and from the major airports -

Newark International Airport
- The set fare from New York City to Newark International Airport is the regular metered rate of fare, plus a $15.00 surcharge, plus all tolls going to and returning from the airport.

John F. Kennedy International Airport
- The TLC has established a "Flat Fare" program for trips to and from JFK and Manhattan. The flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls. There is no set fare to or from JFK to any point in New York City outside of Manhattan, and the metered rate applies.

LaGuardia International Airport
- There is no set fare for trips to and from LaGuardia International Airport. The regular metered rate of fare, as is displayed below, applies in all cases.

We appreciate your insight and I would like to discuss your experience further with you. At your convenience, I can be reached at 212-243-0800 or via e-mail at cyee@wyndham.com. I do look forward to hearing from you.
Edmonton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

My friends and I stayed here from June 29- July 4, 2010. We were placed in Room 408.
1) The room was not vacuumed. This is was very digusting as there was pieces of hair and other particles on the carpet. I have to mention that I do not think that house keeping vacuums as the next day, we noticed that they did not vacuum the floors. I had to call front desk and ask them to specifically vaccuum our room.

2) All of us got bed bugs! How did we know? Well we woke up on July 1st night and we had all these spots on our legs (We had one King Size bed and the 3 of us slept on it). THe spots were by our feet/legs and all 3 of us got it. Plus my friend had gotten bed bugs a few yrs ago when she had traveled to Thailand. She has experienced bed bugs and the gross ness associated with it.

The guy @ front desk changed our room for us - howver, the "fear" of bed bugs still lingered in our minds. We are back home now (it's July 13),, the bed bug marks are still on my leg but slowly fading away. I had to wash all my clothes and throw away my luggaages as I would be scared if the bed bugs traveled with me back home.

AVOID THIS HOTEL IF U DONT WANT BED BUGS!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
6 Thank lifebrand
I am sorry to hear you did not have a favorable stay with us. We did receive documentation from our nationally recognized pest control vendor that your room was free of bed bugs and any other pests. Your comments regarding our housekeeping staff have been shared with our team. We have followed up with the staff members invovled in ensuring this does not occur again.

I am disappointed that you are still unhappy and I would be happy to further discuss your stay with you on a personal basis.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

Looking for a great, QUIET, place to rest your weary feet after running around Manahattan?! This is for you. Quiet, clean, pleasant, and tucked away in the middle of everything. My only hestitancy in telling you about it, is that it could be hard for me to book the next time I go back. Just don't use the concierge, they're outsourced though, so not a true depiction of the quality employees at the Wyndham.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hohagan
Thank you for your posting and feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your time at the Wyndham Hotel Chelsea and hope to see you again during your next stay. Please feel free to contact me at 212-243-0800 or by email at cyee@wyndhamcom so that we may provide you with the best room and best rate available for your next stay.