“Amazing Ramen, Unbelievable Buns!”
Review of Hakata Ippudo NY

Hakata Ippudo NY
Ranked #263 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We loved this place even though we were originally told it would be 2hrs wait for a table to which we expressed shock before the hostess double checked and advised it was likely to be around an hour (it was actually 45mins!).

This just meant we had an hour(ish) to have a drink at the bar where they have an great barman (a very cool and helpful guy) and thought we'd try a plate of pork buns. Not knowing what we'd actually get, we had seen a couple of other groups eating them and saying how good they were and they weren't exaggerating, I could have eaten about 10 plates of them!

Having had this starter at the bar, 2 drinks later we were taken through into the main restaurant and ordered a bowl of ramen (I had the Modern) and it was gorgeous, as good as I've had which was a good job because the portion size was in a massive bowl filled to the brim and with a pork belly addition off the menu!

It was amazing, my wife had the Classic which was also great and also huge!

I would definately return, and happily wait an hour again just so I can have some more buns and beer in the bar before we go through to eat the amazing ramen!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is not the ramen you had while starving as a college student. I was warned about notoriously long waits at this restaurant, and was surprised at my seating after only ten minutes. The atmosphere was almost club-like, with loud music pumping from the ceiling and the noise of the open kitchen filling the space, not to mention the staff yelling, "Irashaimasen" upon my entry. My disorientation disappeared after a cold beer arrived at my community seat on the shared table. I shared a complicit nod with my table mates, two Japanese girls instagramming their lunch. After a ponderous look at the menu, I settled upon the Akamaru Chasu. This was the ramen with garlic oil and the dark, earthy mushrooms. I opted for some extra braised pork belly on top (do it, you'll thank me). For a nominal charge of $2, the diner can ask for extra noodles once he has exhausted the ones in his bowl by asking his server, "Kaedama, please." I didn't go that far, but appreciated the possibility it could happen.

The ramen was profound. Perfect broth, melt-in-your-mouth pork, noodles with just the right done-ness. This will be a meal I will always remember. I also opted for an extra dollop of hot chili paste. I added this sparingly as it really upped the heat level. In my haze of gluttony, I forgot to order the pork buns. I hear they are dynamite. After I mopped my brow (always a good sign) and the last
slurp was had, I still had a little room. Despite the raging noise around me, I was happy in my seat, happy to be there, happy to be in New York, happy to be seated instead of walking. The dessert menu came and the matcha creme brûlée just spoke to me. It was appropriately sweet, but not cloying and capped off the experience nicely.

By the way, don't forgot to leave a tip for the cooks by their window. That way you can get yelled at on your way out as well.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We've come at 11:00am 3 times to wait for the opening at 11:30. And we've come mid-afternoon around 3pm and waited 45min to 1 hour. Personally, the Hirata buns (pork buns), Shishito (flash fried Japanese peppers with yuzu salt and of course the ramen are worth waiting for. Everyone has to find their own favorite ramen place, this is definitely one of mine.

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Recommended by foodie friends. Liked the famous pork buns but not the mayo. Good ramen. Lunch box upgrade brought excellent eel and small salad. 43 dollars for one person with small sake is a bit pricey for noodles.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

A very nice place, great experience and excellent food.
You have to wait for a while, 2 hours sometimes, so It's better plan it in advance.