“Authentic Ramen!!”

Neighborhood: Manhattan
Sao Paulo, SP
“Authentic Ramen!!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Ippudo was recommended by a good friend who said that would be the best ramen in NYC! Their ramen is really delicious and its taste has a lot to do with Japanese flavor. We had lunch at midday and did not have to stand in line. As we got there, we were immediately sit down and welcomed by the noodle makers! Irashaimase! We almost missed the best appetizer ever: hirata buns, steamed buns filled with pork. But in time we ordered it! The decoration is cool! Highly recommended.

2 Thank FNRO

• Korean first
“Raaaaaamen!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

If you want super good ramen, THIS is the place! The decor is spot on and hip, the ramen is authentic and full of flavour, the service is impeccable and best of all it's such good value for money! You know you've gone to the right Jap restaurant when you find Japanese business men lining up to get in as well!

New York
“Big 80s Noodle Party”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I wanted a bit more excitement for lunch today and Ippudo did not disappoint. Not wishing to stand in line, I went around 11:30 am. I did not have to wait. When they escorted me to the round communal table, I was welcomed by a chorus of noodle makers. I wrote in my other review for Joe's Shanghai that I refuse to stand in line to eat with strangers. Well, at least I didn't have to wait in line. Ippudo actually makes you want to talk to strangers. There was so much energy, with the Madonna and Cyndi Lauper blasting, it felt like a big 80s noodle party. Others at my table did not feel the same. The guy next to me had headphones on. The lady next to me quietly ate her noodles. No one wanted to talk to each other.

I ordered the often-Yelped pork buns. I don't really like pork, but this was delicious! Like tender pieces of fresh spicy jerky on a sweet bun. I wanted to save room for the noodles, so I only ate one.

The waiter recommended the Modern (I think it was $16) which comes with pork belly. I ordered a side of pickled greens ($4) and some bamboo shoots ($3). The pork belly was very tender and had a nice smoky flavor. I guess the extra sides added to the noodles. The noodle was pretty good, but after the pork bun, I wasn't that hungry, so I asked if I can take the rest to go. They do not do to go. I have never heard of a restaurant that won't give you food that you paid for in a doggie bag! Even Bouley gives you doggie bags, and it has a Michelin star, mkay?

Well, I wasn't going to let my other pork bun go to waste. I paid $9 for the two buns. So I wrapped it in a napkin and stuffed it in my pocket. God, I felt like such a bad girl. (Later on, as dogs were chasing me down the street, I discovered the sauce in the pork bun had leaked through the napkin. Good thing it was a washable fleece jacket and not one of my expensive minks. JK. Note to self to carry
Ziplocks at all times.)

I guess if I were hungrier, this would have been a five star experience. The pork belly was pretty tasty. But considering they wouldn't let me pack up the food that I paid for, this shows a lack of flexibility that takes away from the dining experience. Why waste food? Why refuse to pack up half eaten food? It's not as if Ippudo has a patent on noodles, so everything is top secret. It is a pain for me to get here and I have to eat at off times to avoid the line. I would rather go back to Zutto or Takahachi, both with better noodles. Plus, this is NY, so many noodles. So little time. Next!

Potomac, Maryland
“such fun!!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Got in line with the rest of the foodies before this place opened so we could be seated right away (last time we showed up at 6 on a Saturday night, there was a 3 hour wait. Yes you read that correctly). When you get seated to the communal tables, the wait staff all yell in Japanese (hopefully "welcome")
Of course we were coming here for the ramen (get the tonkotsu broth). We enjoyed our karaka kogashi miso ramen w/ soft boiled egg and akamaru modern with pork belly. But I would go back in a heartbeat for 2 appetizers: the pork hirata buns and the samarai ribs. After eating these, you'll be yelling along with delight.

• Visited March 2013
Danville, California
“Incredibly tasty and affordable”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

While in NYC, we went out of our way to find this place based on a recommendation from a friend. Wow, were we IMPRESSED by the food (quality, flavor, price) and the incredbily hip and friendly vibe. I never understood what the big hype about Ramen was ... and now I know! Besides, who can resist fresh noodles with incredible ingredients for merely $15/bowl? Try the Siracha Ramen - guaranteed to clear your sinuses but also get you so addicted that you're desperate to find something similar in your hometown. The desserts were also incredible.

• Visited March 2013