“Worth the wait”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place is always very busy, but it has devoted clients b/c the food is amazing. I've been a few times, and there has been no "drop-off" in experience. If you can come with a large group 6-8 just around opening time they can seat you quickly. One more hint: If you crave just the pork buns and a beer, get them at the bar and you won't have to wait. Otherwise, the wait is typically 1-2 hours. It's crazy, but people wait. if you appreciate ramen, you should wait too. Every broth is really good. I liked the miso-based ones the best. It's just as good the second or third time as the first. I think that's a sign of a quality place with good management. I expect Ippudo will be around for a while.

There are newer reviews for Hakata Ippudo NY

Reviewed April 4, 2013

The atmosphere is a bit cheesy (seriously, do we need the waiters to yell Itadakimasu every 5 minutes?) and the wait on any given day is long and frankly unnecessary, but the food is fantastic.

Putting aside the ramen (which you have to eat), I highly recommend the pork buns and the wasabi octopus. The pork buns are bit different than Momofuku: less meaty, but less fat, and more sauce. They really provide different spins on the same dish. In terms of the wasabi octopus, make sure you have it with a glass of the draft lager they have on tap. It really brings out the flavors in a way you can't experience simply by having the dish alone.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I love the food here. Highlights are the pork buns, the chicken wings and the ramen and there is a bustling

However I would not recommend this for a family if you have young children.

We were there at lunchtime on a Friday as it opened, at 11am. Even then they feel it appropriate to play nighttime club music with explicit lyrics. Imagine trying to enjoy lunch with singers rapping about "[--] this [--]", and the n-word etc. when you have a kids 3-9 years old.

I mentioned this to the server who kind of ignored the situation.

Strangely, I mentioned this to a couple of friends of mine, and they said they don't take their children there because of this, and they deem it to be not child-friendly.

But the food is good and you should try it. Just go with adult company only....

1  Thank santosdiego
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

If you are in the mood for excellent asian food then you should try this restaurant. The only negative was the 1 1/12 wait to be seated. But when you finally are it is most definitely worth the wait. Ordered the rib, wings, and pork buns as appetizers and all 3 had tremendous flavor. Finished with the modern Ramen with a side of egg and pork belly addition. Excellent and very satisfying. Only regret is I didn't leave room for dessert! I will be back for sure!

Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

This is such a great place to have ramen. We (a party of two) had a wait of 1.5 hrs on a Tuesday evening. It was really a long wait but well worth it. The atmosphere is quite funky and friendly, the service is really nice and the food is simply delicious! We had the chicken wings for starters, which were finger licking good, my boyfriend had one of the special ramen with a darker broth which was yum, and I had the ramen with the mixed stock which also was delicious. We will definitely be going here again on our 9 day visit.