“Amazing food! I'd try every dish on their menu if I'd stayed longer”
Review of Hakata Ippudo NY

Hakata Ippudo NY
Ranked #433 of 14,396 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I really love the restaurant!!! It has a long waiting line which might take up to 1-1.5 hours but it's definitely worth it. The appetizers are amazing, the ramen is amazing and the desserts are amazing, too!!! I'd try every single dish on their menu if I stayed in NY longer. I'd recommend the pork bun, avocado tofu, chicken wings for appetizers. Although the restaurant is quite crowded, they do not squeeze spaces to fit more people. That's why you have to wait but it makes you comfy once you're inside.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

It's well worth the wait and the seating policy ensures that other guests would have the opportunity to enjoy the food too.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Come here every time we visit NYC. I would say its worth the wait for a seat. If you are in a hurry you should try somewhere else..

Reviewed December 13, 2012

The restaurant is very nice and the staff is friendly, saluting every costumer that comes in...and i mean everyone in the staff says hello in Japanese in unison!
for me the best by far dish they have are the pork buns. yes they have excellent ramen and other dishes. but the prok buns are a must at ippudo. pork buns and a good Japanese beer and you are set :)

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Ippudo's otherwise good food is overshadowed by the "scene" they create through their pretentious staff and unnecessarily complicated seating policy. My advice is skip the rigmarole and go have ramen at a place that will be cheaper and more friendly. Its not worth being made to feel like a chump.

I had been to Ippudo once in the past and enjoyed the food so much that I wanted to return for my birthday dinner. Knowing that they do not take reservations but you can put your name on a list for the the time you want to dine I stopped in at 6:00 for an 8:00 dining time.

When I told the hostess that I wanted to put my name on the list for 8:00 she proceeded explain how the list was no guarantee for seating and that my whole party had to be present to sit, and even if we were all present we might still have to wait for a table, etc. etc. In addition, she explained that she would call me close to 8:00 to confirm I was still coming. It took almost three minutes for her to explain this complicated process.

When 8:00 rolled around and I, along with my whole party arrived at Ippudo, I was informed by this hostess that I was taken off the list for "whatever reason" but she would put me back on to wait for 45 minutes for a table. When I explained that I jumped through all the hoops to eat there she responded in a snarky and snobby manner.

We left and went to a restaurant where we were treated with respect.

Don't believe the hype and skip this place.

1  Thank ArloManhat