“Food is great, prices a little steep, even for NYC”
Review of Nick and Toni's Cafe - CLOSED

Nick and Toni's Cafe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Between Columbus & Broadway
Transit: 66th St - Lincoln Center Number 1 Train. 72nd St - Broadway & 72ns St. 1,2,3 Train. 72ns St - Central Park West C, B.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We've been here twice since December 2012, and I want to say that they had our table waiting from our open table reservation. We decided to sit in the small, but cozy bar area, since the dining room tables are very close. The bartender, Chris, is very personable, and knows the menu very well. We were brought fresh bread and olives, that were wonderful. The first time there I had a braised cauliflower salad, $14, and it was tasty, but a small portion. The second time, I had the argula salad w/olives, $14, again a small portion. (salad plate size, not dinner plate size)I think this is pricey for what it is...but still good, keeping in mind its NYC near Lincoln Center. We had a fresh pasta and a free range chicken dish that were very good. Again, for the chicken $28, it was a very small piece, and it was served with sauteed spinach w/pancetta that was awesome. so awesome that we ordered a side dish of it. The side was $10, but tasted completely different than the spinach with the chicken, kind of a disappointment. Wine is running about $14/glass, and a screwdriver, $11....The second visit, we had 2 screwdrivers, the chicken dinner, a side of spinach, and with tip almost $80....i'm not sure if there are better bargains in the area, but i'll go there in a pinch...but not as a regular...too bad, they should have a pre fixe for Lincoln Center....

Reviewed January 18, 2013

My family and I stumbled across this cafe after a stroll in Central Park. It really is the loveliest place, delightful staff, great atmosphere and the food is first class.
The first time we went there, we shared a pizza and a tuna nicoise - both delicious, freshly cooked produce, presented beautifully and with a friendly approach from our waiter.
We loved this place so much, we chose to walk from Times Square to sample more of their menu, a couple of days later. The staff recognised us and welcomed us warmly, something rather unusual in our experience in New York. Again, the food was divine. All three of us chose a burger (unusual for us) but they certainly didn't disappoint, they were absolutely delicious.
We noticed that they had a bowl of dog biscuits outside the front door for any passing pooch to have a sneaky little snack. How lovely is that?
I will most certainly search this wonderful little gem out again if I ever return to this City.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is my favorite place to go for a pre-opera or pre-movie meal in the Lincoln Center area.

I recently went again for dinner on Friday and was not disappointed. Their shredded Brussels sprout salad with parmesan cheese was not over-seasoned so that you could taste the freshness of the vegetables. The pork chops were juicy and delicious. And the wait staff - some of whom have been there over a year- was attentive as always.

I usually order off of the tasting menu ($35 for appetizer, entrée and desert - $28 on Sunday and Monday). The portions are slightly smaller than the a la carte version, but I am always satisfied. I am giving Nick and Toni's five starts because it has been consistently great the 6 or so times I have gone.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

This small, bistro-like restaurant, located only minutes away from Lincoln Center, was a pleasant surprise for my friend and me, who were looking for a different, nice, but not too expensive place for dinner before the opera. The staff was friendly, the menu (including a Prezzo Fisso listing) was fairly priced, and the food was quite fine. The clientele was typically upscale New Yorkers, who expect service and value for money, and the atmosphere, although lively, lacked the loud and frenetic scene of the more touristy venues in the Lincoln Center area. The pre-tip bill of slightly over $100 for the two us was money well spent. We plan to return for the next opera in our subscription!

1  Thank tuckernyc2003
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Nick and Toni's on the Upper West Side is a very small, bistro-style restaurant with great lighting and good food, but what appears to be a very unhappy staff (with a few exceptions). We just ate there last night before a movie. Both the salmon and the chicken were very good, but virtually every employee we encountered seemed angry. They weren't extremely busy, so it's not clear why everyone was so unhappy, but I was surprised at how much it affected our experience. There were a handful of exceptions (the hostess, who was lovely and a busser) but overall, the energy at Nick and Toni's left us convinced that we would not return. It is not cheap and although the food was good, who needs the downer of bad service and bad moods?