“Attached to Hotel Edison”
Review of The Rum House

The Rum House
Ranked #589 of 14,026 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Dark, nice ambience if music is not so loud. Piano player was there for us one evening. Delightful! Be preapred to go to the bar to get your drinks. There was only one bartender and no table service. Nice selection of Scotch. Next time I visit, I'll sit at the bar, and will avoid the corner under the music speaker. Can charge drinks to your room.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

It was OK. Decor was nice, but nothing really great. If you want a quick drink or feel like your at a speak easy, this place will do.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

The Rum House is the artifice of the artifice of the artifice of a "fun" ironic speakeasy. It has business only because it's on the route between Midtown and the suburban bus and rail lines. One such commute corralled a number of us to have after-work drinks there during the holiday season. I felt shnookered and duped, as if I were visiting the City rather than being a resident. It lived down to the worst expectations of a New York bar - tiny drinks that were overpriced, and a bar menu that the waitress told us had been updated to reduce the offerings from 6 appetizer options to 3: guacamole, hummus, and a $5 small bowl of roasted almonds. Please, folks, walk west to Ninth Avenue to find genuine and local boites. This isn't New York at all.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

This bar is located inside the Edison Hotel. It's small and I suppose cozy, but a glass of house wine is $12. The service was slow. I sat at the bar for at least 10 minutes before one of the three bartenders even acknowledged me.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Small and intimate setting, but very relaxted atmosphere. Enjoyed live performers singing and playing music while we sipped on specialty cocktails in the lounge.