“great italian”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Bleecker & Hudson Streets
Transit: 1 train to Christopher Street/Sheridan Square.
Reviewed December 28, 2013

very small ,its calm enough you can actually talk to each other.We had lasagna,rigatoni,spaghetti and pepper ,all were excellent. the anti pasta was amazing and the portions are too large.The wine list is a little challenging ,the waiter made some good suggestions.I would definitely go back.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I made reservations about 2 months ago, after learning about I Sodi from a WSJ article and on Chowhound. We started with cocktail at Employees Only around the block. We were about 5 minutes late for our reservation, but called ahead. When we arrived a nice table was waiting for us in the front window. (There is no host, so prepare to stand awkwardly among the other diners for a few minutes). Our waiter was great. Very gracious, knowledgable…at first. Helped us pick out our courses, portions etc. Our first course was a mache salad that was fresh, light and tasty. We had a sausage crostini special that was to die for. Fresh olive oil for the bread. And then we waited. And waited. And waited. Approximately 30-40 minutes between 1st and 2nd course. We weren’t in a particular rush, but c’mon! After about 30 minutes, our waiter finally showed up and promised he’d “make it up to us.” I have no idea what happened, but it didn’t seem like much of any food was coming out of the kitchen…Our entrees were a chestnut ravioli special and the black pepper/parm spaghetti. Oh. My. God. Be sure to get full portions. I forget what we had for dessert. To “make it up to us” our waiter brought us multiple samples of Amare and Grappa. I was unfamiliar so that, well, got me tipsy and happy and I was a little more forgiving of the mishap.
Summary: Outstanding food. Weird lapses in service and timing. Not sure if this is a common occurrence.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Visited this fine West Village restaurant which has a great Vibe, real good service, a great bar and the best food. Split the small size black pepper pasta as an appetizer which was rich and delicious with a back of the mouth kick. I then had the braised beef, which is slow cooked in chianti wine and it was as soft as short ribs but without all the fat. The flavor was mellow, almost sweet and delicious. The martinis my group had were all well made, which brings me to the wine issue. They have great wines but the pricing was 100% more than you would expect to pay in a restaurant. A Corvo normally an inexpensive wine from Sicily, was over $70 a bottle. Wines by the glass started at $18 and went up to twice that for a 5 ounce pour. Italian food this good needs a good red wine. I would go there again in a minute because the food is worth it, but be prepared for the wine prices.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Just go here, it is the same. Eat anything, makes no difference.

it's all Perfect!

We were sent by a friend from Florence who now lives in the US. He had been the last time he was in NY.

There were only 2 of us, but we bought one of just about everything once we tasted the first bite of bread, olives and olive oil. Each dish was perfect. The wines were perfect and the pours generous.

We bumped into three people (one from Italy) in the next 2 days who, when we mentioned we had been, went off on streams of thought about how good the place is.

It is understated and refined. It's all about the food. The staff could not have been nicer.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

You may need to sit at the bar on a busy night, but it's worth it for the amazing fresh pasta! The small-portion option was enough pasta for me and left room for sharing an appetizer with a friend. I also saw a few people trying various pastas together....smart choice since I had some food envy of others at the bar. The wine recommendation was also perfect. On my short list of great Italian restaurants in the city.