“Decent place, decent food, decent atmosphere”
Review of Madison & Vine

Madison & Vine
Reserve with OpenTable
Madison & Vine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #936 of 14,304 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 41st Street
Transit: 4, 5, 6 & S trains to Grand Central Terminal/42nd Street.
Description: Midtown's American Bistro and International Wine Bar offers a casually elegant atmosphere. Enjoy a complimentary Artisanal cheese plate with the purchase of a bottle of wine between 3:00pm - 6:00pm. Now Serving Brunch on Saturdays, 11:30 am. to 4 p.m. and Dinner on Sundays from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is a wine bar attached to a hotel. When we went on a Sunday evening it was busy and had a nice atmosphere to it.
Service was friendly and efficient. The menu offered a decent choice and there was a fixed price menu on offer, including a glass for $35 – plus, of course, all the usual NY add ons, making it closer to $45.
The food was food and the portions were reasonable, but not large.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We dropped into Madison & Vine for an easy dinner option as we were staying at the Library Hotel next door. Although the restaurant was very busy, the friendly and efficient staff found us a table without any problems. We ordered a couple of salads - a chicken Cesar and a shrimp chop salad. Both very very tasty and well put together. As you'd expect from the name of the place, the wine list offers a good choice from around the world - we had a couple of glasses of excellent viognier which complemented the food very well. If you're looking for a restaurant in the area, you won't go far wrong here.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I ate dinner here last night as a spur-of-the moment decision. We walked in at about 7:30 pm on a Saturday night, and were given a table outside right away. The place was about half-full, which maybe was a sign of the quality of the food here.

THE SERVICE: The service was good -- attentive without being overbearing. Waiters were not particularly friendly or rude, but just do their jobs cordially and well.

THE FOOD: The food was so-so. Starting with bread service, my husband had a plain roll that wasn't even warm -- nothing special about it. In fact, it was even on the tough side and had some difficulty cutting it. We shared an appetizer of asparagus with hollandaise and goat cheese, which was very good and we both thoroughly enjoyed. For dinner, my husband had the seafood bouillabaisse, which he claimed was good, but not great. He would have liked a few more pieces of fish or mussels, especially for the price of the entree ($24, I think). I had the roasted organic chicken, which had a good flavor, but was a bit on the dry side. It had a mustard jus, but that ran out about 2/3 of the way through my meal, and I couldn't finish the chicken without the sauce -- it was that dry.

ATMOSPHERE: The place seemed a little trendy, but there were a variety of people there. The decor was nice, clean and contemporary, but overall the restaurant was dark.

VALUE: At $100 for dinner for 2, I can't say that this restaurant had great value. It's normal for NYC prices, but I wasn't wowed. The $25 lunch prix fixe, or $35 dinner prix fixe (includes a glass of wine) might be a good option for those budget-conscious, if you can find something on the prix fixe menu that you like.

Overall, I wasn't impressed with the food here. It was okay, but didn't leave me craving for more. With so many options for dining in New York, I'll move on and try somewhere else next time.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Just on the corner of Madison and 42nd street with a good set of tables on the sidewalk, this is a really nice place to drop into for a quick brunch or late lunch.

I've been here for a cocktail before (punchy) but this was my first time for a business lunch. We both went for the turkey club with fries, it was a Friday and we'd had a hard week and we were not disappointed.

It was so good I could have eaten it twice. Service is prompt and friendly, you won't be disappointed here.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I often meet my former business partner here for a drink since it is near his office. Last night we sat at the bar and ate dinner. We had martinis made by Norad - very nice. We ordered shrimp cocktail ($17) - 5 jumbo shrimp that were deliciously fresh, asparagus with hollandaise and crab cakes. The place was PACKED when we arrived at 6 pm ish. The crowd thinned as the night went on but when we left at 9 pm it was in no way empty. Service is friendly, food is good and prices are reasonable for Midtown.