“Fine Dining as it should be”
Review of The Capital Grille

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown East
Cross street: Between Lexington & Third Avenues
Transit: Grand Central Terminal: 4, 5, 6, 7 & S subways. Metro-North Railroad. Buses: M1, M2, M3, M4, M42, M98, M101, M 102, M104.
Description: Make it a day to remember. From birthdays and anniversaries to professional milestones, we aim to make every gathering special at The Capital Grille. Open seven days a week, The Capital Grille is best known for its expertly prepared steaks, which are dry-aged in house for 18 to 24 days and then hand-cut by our restaurant's on-premise butcher. The Capital Grille's wine list features more than 350 selections, and its floor-to-ceiling wine kiosk regularly houses 3,500 - 5,000 bottles. Reservations are recommended but not required. For more information, please visit our website. See you soon.
Reviewed July 9, 2019

Been here 2-3 times for business lunch. Always a Great experience. Service is as good as it gets. Everyone is professional and friendly, they are very attentive and understand about time constraints if there are any. The food is perfect - the only thing I can think of as a criticism is that the menu could be a bit more adventurous. Also this is a pricey place but you probably knew that already. Honestly would not spend my own money here. The steaks are done right. Lobster bisque - flavorful and nice chunk of lobster in it. I had Tuna Nicoise and it delicious. Somebody ordered the 16 oz bone in Filet Mignon - nice steak. No room for desert. Great place for a business lunch on the East side.

1  Thank jtmarino
Write a reviewReviews (945)

Reviewed July 6, 2019 via mobile

I had high hopes when I visited The Capital Grille on a recent Saturday evening but sadly my optimism was misplaced.

Firstly, I ordered the scallops having been recommended them by my waiter, only for him to return to tell me that they had run out earlier in the evening.

Secondly, when I was delivered the bread basket with several types of bread and asked which contained nuts as an ingredient, I was told only one of the breads at first. Then the waiter advised me not to have any bread at all and finally, having been pushed to check with the chef, said all but one of them contained nuts and he offered me only a depressing bowl of bread sticks (without contrition). When I informed the manger, the bread 'magically' stopped containing nuts and I lived to tell the tale.

The only food that the chefs could find in the cupboards I wish they hadn't. The tiny clam chowder was offensively unremarkable: overly thick and lacking any freshness.

The lobster crab cakes were palatable, if oddly bland, but were inexplicably served with a larger mound of tasteless corn dumped on a solitary lettuce leaf.

Maybe *traditional American* customers visiting in groups will be afforded a better front of house experience, but sadly that won't do anything to mitigate the lackluster efforts in the kitchen...

1  Thank jimizzle
Reviewed July 5, 2019

We wanted a quiet and quality meal on our last night in NYC and we got it! This restaurant is a bit old school which suits us perfectly. The music is quiet and mellow, the seating is spacious. After a very noisy week in the city we were so happy to find this restaurant. Equally important was the food quality; we prefer seafood and the tuna was prepared absolutely perfectly (I ordered as rare as they would allow and it was rare!). The scallops succulent. The beet salad was the best I've ever had.

2  Thank bb4261
Reviewed June 30, 2019

Attentive staff. Beautiful restaurant. Fabulous food. The table had been tastefully decorated for a birthday. The waiter spent time explaining the menu and, in particular, the steaks and how they could be cooked. He went through a selection from the wine list that would be suitable for our taste and choice of meal. I had oysters, fillet steak and strawberries. All were beautifully served and delicious. Wine was divine.

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank Bella2009Midlands
Reviewed June 26, 2019 via mobile

I was pleased to discover that this restaurant offers seafood in addition to steak. The entrees are ala carte, but the sides are generous enough to share. The wine by the glass is very well priced. Desserts sounded tempting, but we were too full to try any. Service was exemplary. I will definitely stop here for dinner on my future visit to NYC.

Date of visit: June 2019