“Pre-Bday Celebration”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown East
Cross street: Between Lexington & Third Avenues
Transit: Grand Central Terminal: 4, 5, 6, 7 & S subways. Metro-North Railroad. Buses: M1, M2, M3, M4, M42, M98, M101, M 102, M104.
Description: Make it a day to remember. From birthdays and anniversaries to professional milestones, we aim to make every gathering special at The Capital Grille. Open seven days a week, The Capital Grille is best known for its expertly prepared steaks, which are dry-aged in house for 18 to 24 days and then hand-cut by our restaurant's on-premise butcher. The Capital Grille's wine list features more than 350 selections, and its floor-to-ceiling wine kiosk regularly houses 3,500 - 5,000 bottles. Reservations are recommended but not required. For more information, please visit our website. See you soon.
Reviewed April 25, 2019 via mobile

I had a great pre-bday celebration here. From the appetizer to main course were absolutely perfect. The calamari and lobster/crab cake were delicious. Mouth watering steak was really recommendable. The staff were great and accomodation. Till next visit NYC

Date of visit: April 2019
2  Thank jvanguard
Write a reviewReviews (945)

Reviewed April 10, 2019

This is absolutely one of the best experiences my husband and I have had at a NYC restaurant. The atmosphere, the welcome from check in and the top shelf server, Steven Ringwald who doted on us the whole night were all perfect! My husband and I both had Waku steak, mashed potatoes and sauteed spinach as well as mango sorbet and chocolate ice cream and everything had a home cooked feel to it with but with an extra special flair to it. Even their selection of breads in their bread basket were fun! Robert, one of the Managers took the time to stop by our table and see how our Anniversray meal was going and they also brought us an extra special dessert, which was a cheesecake with berries and Happy Anniversary written on the plate. We will definitely be back and will be recommending The Capital Grille to family and friends.

Date of visit: April 2019
2  Thank Laurieespo
Reviewed March 30, 2019

I chose The Capital Grille to celebrate the birthday of a dear friend from England and our spouses joined us. I too read the great reviews here and while my guests enjoyed their steaks (NY Strip, Rib Eye, and Filet Mignon) and the starters were good; caesar salads, a special Potato and Cheddar soup, and I had a superb crab cocktail with sparklingly fresh crab and delicious mustard sauce on the side, my $39 entree of 'Citrus Glazed Salmon' had little to no trace of citrus glaze or sauce and was overcooked and under-seasoned..

The sides were excellent, the usual creamed spinach, asparagus, and scalloped potatoes.

The service while attentive was glacial! It took a half an hour to receive our drinks!

It was disappointing that the bar couldn't accommodate the birthday boy's choice of gin, nor mine of vodka.

The service throughout was so slow that without dessert, our 6:45 reservation (we were prompt) ended at 10 PM!

The bill came to $444 plus an $80 tip, a whopping $524 dollars.

There are better places for less. Honestlyl.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 29, 2019

After walking out of the Capital Grille in downtown Miami, we finally got to try this high end chain restaurant at Chrysler Center, in Manhattan. We chose to eat here as the other reviews were favorable, and I used to work down the block. It was nice to be under my favorite in NYC, the fabulous stainless steel deco designed Chrysler Building!

Not easy to park in Manhattan, there is no restaurant parking, or any on 42nd between 3rd and Lexington Avenue, but we found a spot nearby!

We had reservations at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon, and were seated immediately. The staff is very gracious and we had great service from Sara, our server. She came to the table immediately and graciously took our order.

We got two bowls of onion soup. They also offer a cup, but I heard it was so good, I wanted a big one. We also got Tuna Tartare which looked good, but I didn’t try, Calamari, also not for me, and a wedge salad for me, for appetizers.

I’ll be honest, the soup LOOKED impressive, and technically it was full of nice cooked onions, had lots of cheese, but it really didn’t TASTE all that great. In Miami at Prime 112 one of the waiters, compared Capital Grille onion soup, to theirs. Well...no comparison. The flavor of the soup, the cheese used, the caramelized onions baked over the top with a crunch, none of that was the case here. The soup flavor itself was not really an onion soup flavor, it was kind of smokey flavored, like when Outback Steakhouse has an off day. The soup flavor was actually distasteful to me, and the cheese really had no distinct flavor at all, so didn’t help, as it was just melted tasteless substance. A good cheese could’ve done a lot to improve the flavor. It was like a low salt mozzarella and did nothing to help improve the flavor. It was a big, cheesy, oniony, TOTAL disappointment. All the right elements, but not the right flavor. At least for me. Plenty probably love it, but I have had onion soup galore in my life. I deem this one, far from the best. No comparison to Prime 112 Miami, but NO place can top theirs. It’s on a level of its own. To give it more perspective, I think Applebee’s onion soup beats the one here, and a local Diner I go to, has onion soup that is my second favorite to Prime 112. So, my biggest reason for wanting to try Capital Grille, was really very disappointing.

The wedge salad again, decent but absolutely nothing that impressive or special, a couple of halved grape tomatoes amounting to 1 and 1/2 grape tomatoes. Ok blue cheese dressing, not chunky and they don’t have crumbles. Not a bacon fan, so gave mine I requested on the side, away. Outback Steakhouse has the best wedge salad, and salads in general. Beats this place by far.

For our main courses, my husband got the dry aged au poivre strip with courvoisier cream , which was drowned in peppercorn and bland cream. He asked for other steak sauce as he didn’t like it.

My daughter and I ordered the seared tenderloin with butter poached lobster tails. We were going to share it because pictures made it look big, but it was TINY. Little pieces of meat, and two tiny shrunken lobster tails. I’ve never seen lobster tails this small. For the price, this was a huge ripoff. Sara might have mentioned it was not a large portion when we mentioned we were sharing, but didn’t. I let our daughter keep it for herself since she wanted it, and ordered the 10 Oz filet for myself, blue and cold center, and they got this TOTALLY right. Delicious filet, best part of the meal, tender melt in your mouth meat, prepared perfectly!

To share we got the lobster Mac and cheese. It was like Del Frisco’s, in a tiny round plate, NOT an oval platter covered in lobster chunks as someone else described. Lucky them, we obviously got the lobster cheapskate chef. Plus the macaroni was so undercooked, it was still hard and chewy. Al dente lobster Mac and cheese? Really? The taste was delicious, very cheesy, could’ve been outstanding if we got cooked soft macaroni, and more than 3 little pieces of lobster, plus a normal sized portion. It was small and barely had lobster.

We called over the manager regarding the portion sizes of the tenderloin and the Lobster Mac and Cheese, but pointed as if we somehow missed it, then he said “there’s 3 pieces of lobster” as if that is explanation enough. He graciously offered us mashed potatoes, which were in the oval tray I expected the lobster Mac and cheese to be in. They were good, but mashed potatoes are commonplace and didn’t really make up for the undercooked, light on lobster, Mac and cheese. Nor is it a terribly pricy dish to generously offer.

Dessert time. The ricotta Capital Grille cheesecake was absolutely awesome! Delicious. I recommend!

I got the coconut cream pie. It was basically a non substantial large pile of whipped cream in a pie crust with some coconut flavor and a big flat coconut cookie standing in it. There was no pie to it. It was in a pie crust, so I guess that made it a pie? Hmmm. Very tasty, yes...but not what I expected. It was better after being refrigerated which gave it more substance as my take home and eat the next day.

Overall, service was 5 stars, attentive, friendly, and they did their best to address the disappointments.

The bathroom was gorgeous, with 4 large fully private cubbies! Best case scenario, nearby with no stairs to climb, down a private hall, close yet far from tables. Bravo, immaculate and well appointed.

Nice cozy atmosphere, good service, and some good food, despite more than a couple of disappointments. I don’t think that we would ever return, but I would say there was enough potential and enjoyment to recommend you try it for yourself and maybe depending on who’s cooking, you may have a better experience. Cooked macaroni for example!

Date of visit: January 2019
5  Thank DiningWithWolfs
Reviewed March 20, 2019 via mobile

We ate here to celebrate a 25th Wedding Anniversary & a special birthday and we were all so pleased we did. The food was to die for - steaks that melted in your mouth, perfectly cooked veal chop and vegetables to match. The French Onion Soup was the best any of us had ever had. All in all a perfect meal, easily the best we had in New York, served by professional, friendly, knowledgeable people. Thanks all. 100% recommended. Enjoy.

Date of visit: March 2019