“Nice, but glad I was not paying”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #104 of 14,526 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between Lexington & Third Avenues
Transit: Grand Central Terminal: 4, 5, 6, 7 & S subways. Metro-North Railroad. Buses: M1, M2, M3, M4, M42, M98, M101, M 102, M104.
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. * If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email newyorktimelife@tcgdine.com
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Food and service were excellent. After the disappointment of the Keen's Steakhouse Shrimp Cocktail took the risk of ordering the same here and was not disappointed. Lovely! Main was Bone-In Kona Crusted Dry Aged Sirloin with Shallot Butter. Again delicious, but too much for me!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Not only was the food good, but the price was not bad at all! Cheap if I must say. Also they have great steak. If you like meat and some good generic american food, come here.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Capital Grille reminded me of Smith & Wolensky's..in that it is the place to go for a good,solid piece of meat! And the meat was very good ...it is just that as lovely as the restaurant was it lacked in finesse...the dish arrives with the meat on it and nothing else...no little lettuce leaf,gravy or a fistful of decorative water cress. The waiter was very professional but seemed to be wearing ill fitted clothes and came across as rather Lurch-ish. But that in no way has anything to do with the food or service it was perfect...just the kind of "meat and potatos lads night out" place to go.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was in New York with clients from China in January. We needed to stay in the 42nd Street and Lexington Avenue area for our meetings and I know that the CEO of my client is crazy for beef when he's in the US. With a few good prior experiences at the Capital Grille in D.C. under my belt, I thought that picking the closest steak restaurant to our hotel would make good sense during a New York winter in case the weather was bad.

It did. For one thing, in the middle of the week, in what turned out to be really bad weather, the large restaurant was packed, so the reservation was definitely a smart move. For another thing, even in a city that has steakhouses seemingly on every street corner, the quality of the beef (ordered by two of the diners at our table) was very good. I'm not such a beef eater and my fish was OK+ rather than very good (I've had better at the D.C. branch). The wine list was good and fairly priced.

Service was a bit slow and, even on a crowded evening, it could have been sharper. Our waiter seemed never to get that one of the Chinese diners did not speak a word of English and the waiter kept addressing him directly, even when each time his colleague would step in to translate or answer for him. It was actually a little amusing.

The tables are rather closely set together and that contributes to an overall noise factor - at least where we sat (near the front of the resutaurant) is not where you'd want to have a romantic evening. We also table hopped at the beginning but the hostess was very accommodating, something not to be taken for granted in New York when a patron doesn't like the first table. Here there was no attitude.

All in all, it was a successful business dinner, my clients really liked their meal and I would definitely return myself, just maybe not go with the fish.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This place has a very nice atmosphere, both in the bar and the restaurant, very good food, nice staff.

1  Thank Eyal B