“Too much money for the (less than awesome) room/service they offer (even in NYC)”
Review of The Ridge Hotel

The Ridge Hotel
Ranked #352 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 4, 2013

First of all, for pretty much $200 night, I'd expect a mini coffee machine in my room. No coffee, no ice (!) - have to go to the basement for coffee, and only the hours they provide it (if you're up before 7:30 or want it after 5, forget it) and every time you want ice, have to call and have it delivered (and tip). Internet service in the room was sketchy, at best, and in the basement (euphemistically called the "common area" (dank, dark, depressing, unlike their lovely lobby) the internet is nonexistent. Ordinarily I wouldn't care about no internet in the basement, but since my (nearly $200/night) room was so small it didn't even have a side table to slide a chair under (no chair, obviously, no side table, no closet), all of my work with my computer needed to be one on the (full sized,not queen) bed. I needed a desk! So the basement it was, but no internet service about 75% of the time. Staff was super nice and compassionate, but unable to do anything about it. Also, REALLY thin walls. Street noises are expected and normal in NYC. Not an issue. But every time a guest used the elevator or closed their room door, it was a not-so-nice alarm clock in my closet-sized room (that didn't have a closet). What a rip off. Also, my room (don't know about the whole hotel) needed serious updating. Walls were filthy with scuff marks, chips in paint, and an entire piece of floor molding was just missing. As log as it's clean, which it was, I don't really care all that much about that, but again, for the price...I know NYC is expensive and you don't get what you do elsewhere for the same money - I used to live there and travel there often so I get it. But this place was ridiculous.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Ridge Hotel

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I was really looking forward to my stay at Hotel East Houston but was disappointed. The location is great and the roof top fantastic (when it is not closed for private functions). The room did not live up to the photos on the website. Yes it is all you need and it is NYC but I was still disappointed. One good thing I will say is when the window was closed it did a great job at blocking out the street noise. The staff were ok but not very friendly. I can't say I would stay here again.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

My colleague and I had a big presentation in the city and needed a nice affordable spot to stay overnight. Recommended by Swedish friends, the rooms are small but very clean, the bathroom is a great colorful contrast and the terrace is fantastic. Great location near Whole Foods, with great walking all around. Will stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank vermontK
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The rooms (standard queen in our case) are pleasant and all you need (except little room to hang clothes perhaps). The design is unobtrusive, modern, dark wood and cream. Liked the Italian designer lamps in the room! The bathroom was fine, great shower and reliable hot water with good pressure. Not always to be had in NYC. All furnishings were in great shape and nothing seemed worn or faded. The coffee/tea bar (and public fridge and microwave) in the basement are maybe nice for some people, I found it a bit spooky and there's such great coffee to be had everywhere these days in New York...
Although East Houston St. is a major road (with roadworks exactly in front of the hotel at the moment), the windows keep out the noise quite well and the aircon is modern and quiet.
Highlight: The roof terrace! Beautifully furnished, wooden deck and furniture, several seating areas, glass panes to minimize wind and maximise safety and view. You can (must) bring your own food and drink, and there's no wifi connection up there but that's okay.
Location: Just before Chinatown, so fun and short distances to many quirky neighbourhoods. Within two blocks, you have a huge variety of cafes, bars, restaurants. Breakfast can be at the amazing Wholefoods supermarket and cafe or at a mediocre diner a block down the other direction, or at the weekends in a number of sweet little cafes. Subway: There is a station just outside the hotel, but it is "only" the F-line. More lines (4 and 6) are about 4 blocks down, so a ten minute walk.
Information for international visitors: great place to be, good value for money, relatively big rooms for NY, reliable water supply, lots of quirky shops and cafes nearby. And the roof terrace which our local friends were very envious of :-)

Room Tip: Higher up for a nicer view? The side street rooms might be quieter but the windows insulate well. We...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HappyCapeTown
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We spent a long weekend in New York for the New Yorker festival and to visit our niece who lives on the lower east side. Since we didn’t want to spend a fortune, our choices were limited to The Hotel East Houston and the Gem.

First, the not so good:

We stayed in a Queen room and it was really small. I had to sidle around the bed to get to my side. The hotel has some King rooms but, according to the woman at the front desk, the rooms aren’t really larger.

There are seven floors. Floors two through six have guest rooms and the 7th floor is a roof deck. All of the guest room floors have the same configuration – rooms ending in 4 are directly across from the elevator. We were originally put in one of these (they called it a “4-line” room). I had my husband stand by the elevator and talk and I could hear him clearly so we asked to have our room changed.

Our second room was a “3-line” – room 203. It was a corner room with windows on both sides. Close to the elevator but, because of the configuration, elevator noise was not a problem.

Be prepared for very little closet space. There is a peg that holds 4 hangers and a tiny shelf for clothes. Fortunately, there are deep windowsills and we used those for storage.

Now, the good:

Location, Location, Location. There’s a subway stop half a block away and lots of restaurants within a few blocks. It’s also an easy walk to SOHO shopping and restaurants as well as the New Museum.

The hotel staff couldn’t be nicer. They were helpful and friendly. They really wanted to make sure we were having a good stay.

The large roof top deck with beautiful city views is GREAT!!!!! It almost made up for the small room size. Take elevator to 7th floor and be prepared to be charmed. We had it to ourselves most of the time. We brought coffee up in morning (free coffee and tea on the lower level of the hotel) and wine from the great-find September Wine store (front desk will give you directions - just a few blocks away).

The room was surprisingly quiet. We were concerned about hearing street noise from our second-floor room but it wasn’t a problem.

The bottom line.

If you’re looking for a relatively inexpensive hotel on the lower east side for a long weekend, The Hotel East Houston is a great choice – probably the best choice. Our niece’s parents stayed at the Gem and she said the Hotel East Houston was much nicer – the Gem didn’t have the rooftop deck and the rooms were just as small or smaller.

Room Tip: A corner room (rooms ending in 3) is a good choice - windows on two sides. A higher floor would be...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mary S
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We Spent 6 nights in Hotel East Houston. You can't fault the location. It is on the main F Subway line that runs from Brooklyn to Uptown ( You can be at the Rockerfeller Centre in 18 minutes !) The room was small and it does pose a few logistic issues when travelling with 2 decent sized suitcases however this is not a reason to avoid the hotel, I believe everywhere in NYC is "compact" in size at this pricepoint.
The concierge allowed us to leave our bags when we arrived early, allowing us to check out the local area for a few hours until our room was ready.
The rooftop deck provides beautiful skyline views ( although it was booked out Friday and Saturday nights with private functions).
A mentioned in another review, our room also had the Translucent Glass Wall between the bathroom and bed so you need to be comfortable with your travelling partner as there is not much privacy.
All in all the hotel is great , the team are nice, the location is perfect if you are looking at the Lower East Side ( and you can walk almost anywhere if you want to absorb the neighbourhood).
Would look at returning on the next visit.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Ill make myself clear that the points above don't go to the hotel as I don't think very highly of it, the location however cannot be beaten if this is the area you want to be in. It is so incredibly central to everything. The subway is 10 steps away, wholefoods is one block down the street, and the spectacular shopping of soho is 4 blocks down. As is a plethora of street food, bars, restaurants and so much more. If you want central, stay here. But it isn't tourist central!

The hotel is deceiving, the images online aren't what you get when you arrive, the room is small, which I expected, but it wasn't as updated and as chic as I was expecting, so the images and descriptions were mimsleasing. The rooftop, yes, it has stunning views, however, it was booked out to a private function on Friday and Saturday nights, so why advertise it as a hotel exclusive rooftop when they rent it out. Hmm. Very disappointing as I really wanted to have a relaxing afternoon Friday before the baseball on the rooftop and watch the world go by and this wasnt possible.

The staff were friendly enough, the king bed was comfortable and the double glazed windows were a relief as the street noise of E Houston can make you want to punch something. All in all is was an ok experience.