“Great Location, friendly & helpful staff”
Review of Hotel East Houston

Hotel East Houston
Ranked #345 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“Great Location, friendly & helpful staff”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We Spent 6 nights in Hotel East Houston. You can't fault the location. It is on the main F Subway line that runs from Brooklyn to Uptown ( You can be at the Rockerfeller Centre in 18 minutes !) The room was small and it does pose a few logistic issues when travelling with 2 decent sized suitcases however this is not a reason to avoid the hotel, I believe everywhere in NYC is "compact" in size at this pricepoint.
The concierge allowed us to leave our bags when we arrived early, allowing us to check out the local area for a few hours until our room was ready.
The rooftop deck provides beautiful skyline views ( although it was booked out Friday and Saturday nights with private functions).
A mentioned in another review, our room also had the Translucent Glass Wall between the bathroom and bed so you need to be comfortable with your travelling partner as there is not much privacy.
All in all the hotel is great , the team are nice, the location is perfect if you are looking at the Lower East Side ( and you can walk almost anywhere if you want to absorb the neighbourhood).
Would look at returning on the next visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Ill make myself clear that the points above don't go to the hotel as I don't think very highly of it, the location however cannot be beaten if this is the area you want to be in. It is so incredibly central to everything. The subway is 10 steps away, wholefoods is one block down the street, and the spectacular shopping of soho is 4 blocks down. As is a plethora of street food, bars, restaurants and so much more. If you want central, stay here. But it isn't tourist central!

The hotel is deceiving, the images online aren't what you get when you arrive, the room is small, which I expected, but it wasn't as updated and as chic as I was expecting, so the images and descriptions were mimsleasing. The rooftop, yes, it has stunning views, however, it was booked out to a private function on Friday and Saturday nights, so why advertise it as a hotel exclusive rooftop when they rent it out. Hmm. Very disappointing as I really wanted to have a relaxing afternoon Friday before the baseball on the rooftop and watch the world go by and this wasnt possible.

The staff were friendly enough, the king bed was comfortable and the double glazed windows were a relief as the street noise of E Houston can make you want to punch something. All in all is was an ok experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
roma
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

In a very good place, near by a subway station. Small room but new and clean, as well as the restroom. Good air conditioner, nice view of the empire state building. There's no breakfast but at the last floor there's a magnific terrace. Should i come back in NYC, i would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013
Albany, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Translucent? Curious for a title you might think, however this will be the one and only negative feature of the hotel I have to add.. but we’ll get to that last.

For us, you can’t get much better than this location. This area is where it’s at for our style shopping, bars, and sightseeing. We were able to pop back to our room to change or relax in between outings which is really, really convenient (especially when walking and looking for an available restroom in the city).

The staff are excellent; very nice and accommodating. They offer restaurant recommendations and are available 24 hours a day at the front desk. They even allowed us to “check” a bag after we checkout of the hotel so we didn’t have to tote it around the city all day before leaving that night. This is a major benefit.

The hotel was exactly how you see it in the pictures; clean with beautiful modern furniture and art. The 7th floor offers a gorgeous roof top deck open 24 hours a day. I especially loved the view late at night lite up with lights *and* early in the morning with my cup of complementary tea! They also serve coffee in the basement lounge area.

The room was small as to be expected in any NY hotel. Now to the ‘translucent’ part of our stay. The wall separating the bathroom and bedroom was made a beautiful frosted glass. That’s right, you get a full view of your partner taking care of business from anywhere in the room, especially when you’re sitting on the bed. Don’t get me wrong, it looks great but it’s not very realistic. Good thing my boyfriend and I are comfortable enough with each other to laugh this off, but we did spend the night using the facilities with the lights off to make it somewhat private. I know a lot of couples this would not fly with, and I would think this room should have listed that maybe as warning to what you should expect. I’m also curious if the rest of the rooms are set up the same way. I would ask prior to booking, although we may try out another hotel in area *only* because of the bathroom issue. Everything else about the East Houston Hotel was wonderful, and would have received 5 stars from me if not for that wall.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KimofHearts
kingston, ny
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was the second time I had spent the night there in 3 months. The reason I went back for the second time was because of the beautiful rooftop patio views of the skyline. When I checked in this time I had asked knowing that they were underbooked (major price drops to attract) to get an upgrade (which technically would have only been another $30 more for a queen). I was told there were no rooms available that they were totally booked. I can say that I got the same exact room I got last time which I was kind of hoping to get a different room at least to see what they had to offer other than the smallest room known to man with an uncomfortable bed and an air conditoner that blows right on you with no way of adjusting the air direction. Needless to say I didn't sleep well...both times. Again, if you want a place with an amazing view on the rooftop and nice place to bring a bottle of vino and chill, this is your place. If you want comfort...better try someplace else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank bigbeat52
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I loved staying here! The room was small but considering you are spending most of your time out and about in the city it doesn't really matter, and it was clean and comfortable with great air conditioning and smart bathroom.The neighbourhood is busy and vibrant with good places to eat nearby, including Katz's Deli and Russ and Daughters. The rooftop terrace is fantastic as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EJ21_11
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed August 28, 2013

It is a small hotel which makes it seems like a boutique hotel. The location is perfect, really close to the subway station and also close to some restaurants, bars (there is a vibrant nightlife at that region). Yes, the room is small (two luggages will certainly occupy all the available space), but us it was not a problem once all other things were so great (friendly staff, location, etc). I think the WORST thing is that it does not have a restaurant. I really wanted to have breakfast in the hotel. I didn't really think the rooftop was awesome, it is nice, but not extraordinary. I'd rather to find a restaurant there - with the great view - instead of a terrace.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple